News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia Order of the Lion and Sun

drclaw

Was cleaning my newly acquired Order of the Lion and Sun with some soapy water when the centre medallion with the lion and sun, the back medallion and the five enamel rays all fell apart from the silver medal!

After the initial heart attack moment, I discovered that the only thing that was holding the medal together was 100 year old "glue" made from water-soluble vegetable gum. It looked similar to the yellow gum you see on old envelopes.

After carefully setting aside the fragile loose elements, I went to town on cleaning the silver medal: first with a toothbrush and soap, and then with an ultrasonic cleaner. As a result, I can now see every pin-point detail of the original craftsmanship.

After drying the medal and polishing it with a silver polish cloth, I re-assembled it using a "glue" made by mixing sugar and water. While I wouldn't want to be jangling it in a parade, the sugar glue bonds well enough to hold the elements together for static display. If I need to clean the medal again in the future, or decide to restore / re-enamel the green rays, I can dissolve the "glue" again with water.

So what could have been a horror story turned out okay in the end and I've learnt something new about the hobby.

Anyone have any Lions and Suns to share? I believe this one is a Civil Division, Third Class, dated between 1872-1925. Apologies for the light reflection from the silver.

---

On the Order of the Lion and Sun, www.qajarpages.org/qajorders.html is an excellent source of information, as well as earlier forum postings:

The Order of the Lion and Sun was instituted by Fath Ali Shah (reign 1797-1834) in the Qajar (Kadjar) Dynasty. It was bestowed on military men and civillians, both native and foreign.

The Order underwent various changes through different reigns in terms of the number of classes and categories.

For military recipients, the lion was shown standing holding a raised sword in one paw, with the sun having a male face. For civilian recipients, the lion was shown reclining, with the sun having a female face.

In 1872, five classes were established for foreigners and Persian civil servants, on the pattern of the French Legion d'honneur. The different classes were represented by the number of points in the framing star: from eight for the first class to four for the fifth class. Higher classes also had a more central "rings" around the medallion.

Before 1856, the insignia was richly jewelled in diamonds, or rubies and sapphires. Later orders were produced in polished silver with the lion having a small Qajar crown above it (though not in insignia manufactured abroad). After 1872, the small Qajar crown above the lion and sun device no longer appeared.

With the overthrow of the Qajar Dynasty by the Pahlavi Dynasty in 1925, a new system of official honours was instituted. The five classes of the Lion and Sun for civilians persisted under the name Homayoun. [note the Qajar website describes the Momayoun as a 'replacement' or 'modernised version' of the Lion and Sun, while it appears to be a completely new Order]

The Order of Homayoun was a simplified and modernised version of the Qajar Lion and Sun. The badge consisted of a central medallion bearing an enameled disk of the lion with upraised sword and the rising sun with five rays, framed within an eight-pointed star. The star was also uperimposed upon a sunburst with eight points. There was also a Homayoun medal with three grades of gold, silver and bronze intended for lower-ranking civil servants, which ceased to be awarded in the last decades of the Pahlavi dynasty.

Edited by drclaw

Hi Dean, what a stunning bar, especially the Prussian Order of the Red Eagle. What is the medal next to the Lion with the image of William I?

Your Lion and Sun is in perfect condition too, all the enamels have been preserved whereas mine has lost much of the green enamelling.

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new example that arrived in the mail yesterday.

For some reason, these orders appeal to my inner child. It could be the cartoon lion and the smiley sun.

I'm enjoying the individual variations you find with these pieces. In the first example above, the lion looks more Tin Tin and you can see the smiley mouth of the sun. The lion in this and SignalCorps' example is more Marvel Comics, with the sun just peeking over back.

Other differences: the colour of the green enamels, the number of enamel rays, the positioning of the main rays of the medal, and the overall dimensions of the medal.

Very nice drclaw! I agree with you that these medals are fantastic. Be careful with the ultra sonic cleaner. Most jewelers refrain from using the ultrasonic treatment on enameled jewelry because it can loosen or chip the enamel off. I am on the lookout for a commander badge lion and sun like yours. What is the range of $ this type generally sells for. You have been busy building your collection! Congrats!beer.gif

Markus

Here's a new example that arrived in the mail yesterday.

For some reason, these orders appeal to my inner child. It could be the cartoon lion and the smiley sun.

I'm enjoying the individual variations you find with these pieces. In the first example above, the lion looks more Tin Tin and you can see the smiley mouth of the sun. The lion in this and SignalCorps' example is more Marvel Comics, with the sun just peeking over back.

Other differences: the colour of the green enamels, the number of enamel rays, the positioning of the main rays of the medal, and the overall dimensions of the medal.

Edited by Markus

Very good tip Markus. I only used the ultrasonic cleaner on the first one after all the enamel rays fell off after I was hand cleaning it with soapy water! It was only the bare silver medal that received the ultrasonic treatment. The rays have been "glued" back now using sugar water for ease of future cleaning. :D

This latest one only needed a good work through with a silver polishing cloth.

Good luck on your hunt! These commanders badges aren't rare at all and can be readily picked up for anywhere between USD 300 - 500 or more.

I'd wait till you find a perfect example as they are a few around, including through the usual major ODM stores. That said, I've been happy to pick mine up enamel-damage and all because they were such characterful pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

What a stunning piece Markus! Congratulations on a fine purchase.

I've not come across many (any) with a French makers' mark before so would think it is a rare find indeed.

The detail of the lion is simply beautiful. Regal as lions are meant to be!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Fourth Class that arrived in the mail yesterday. You don't see many of these for some reason.

It was heavily tarnished and whilst I was cleaning it, the rays fell off again! Water soluble vegetable gum.

Makes it easier to clean the silver and I've re-attached the rays with sugar / water. Maybe one day, I'll have the rays of this, and my Commanders' re-enamelled.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my new arrival, a French made Lion & Sun order, with officer ribbon. No maker marks on the back but looks very much like a Halley or Kretly made badge.

Edited by Markus

Gorgeous, Markus! These French made Lions and Sun are simply superb. And the enamels on the rays are all intact.

You really get a sense of regal strength in the enamel painted lions in a way that the more cartoonish Persian made Lions do not.

I really must get me one of these Kretly Lions.

Back of medal with Boullanger name plate. Boullanger was founded in 1896 and was at this address 24 Rue De La Paix until 1911, so this dates the medal manufacture 1896-1911.

Edited by Markus