News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Wehrmacht Officer Sword

Avitas

Finally got around to putting this nice Wehrmacht Officer's Sword (Dovetail version) up on the GMIC. This the pretty common design as far as I can tell. It has slight deterioration on the hilt detailing, which would indicate it is made of a zinc based metal, dating it mid to late war. Am I correct to assume these points as I am not an expert in blades. The Pack and Sohne maker mark is pretty clear on the blade. The blade itself is ok in condition with a few rust streaks. It would seem it was stored in a damp place from the deterioration. If anyone can confirm the approximate date or any more details to add that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Pat

Hello Pat,

Edged weapons were my first love (in collecting), not that this makes me an expert in any way. However, I think your assumptions about this sword are correct. Perhaps as time passes other members who specialize in German swords will weigh in with their opinions.

Thanks for posting these images, it's a nice sword, even with the little damage that's present.

Regards

Brian

Pat - I agree with Brian, you are most probably right that it originates from later in the War, when standards had been amended. People will put their swords back in scabbards when they are wet from rain- and this leads to the bottom few inches -cm- becoming rusted and blackened. Try a good gun oil on the rust sections. The black painted scabbards are always a problem - the paint chips and comes away. I know everyone is anxious never to touch anything - however, at the end of the day - if a properly applied coat of paint can restore the appearance, then it has to be a personal decision.

The emblems make the WW2 blades sought after - they are not terribly valuable. Still, nice to have in a collection.