News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht von Württemberg

I just read that Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht von Württemberg had an assault battalion, formed in October of 1917.

I've been unable to corroborate this claim. Anybody help me? An assault battalion seems a bit small for an entire army group.

Edited by Thomas W

Hello Thomas!

That´s right. We had 19 official "Sturm-Bataillone" . They were set-up by armies or "Heeres-Gruppen".

"Your" Bataillon was the 17th.

Yes, it was just a bataillon, but don´t forget. Most of the Sturm-Bataillone haven´t been too much in action. They teached the divisional storm-troops how to fight!

Btl.1 (AOK 1)

Btl.2 (AOK 3)

Btl.3 (existed before as Jg.Btl.3)

Btl.4 (AOK 4)

Btl.5 (Armee-Abt. Gaede, Btl."Rohr")

Btl.6 (AOK 6)

Btl.7 (AOK 7)

Btl.8 (Südarmee)

Btl.9 (AOK 9)

Btl.10 (Heeresgruppe Eichhorn)

Btl.11 (Heeresgruppe Linsingen)

Btl.12 (Heeresgruppe Woyrsch)

Cpy.13 (I.Army-corps)

Btl.14 (Armee-Abt. Strantz)

Btl.15 (Armee-Abt. A)

Btl.16 (Armee-Abt..B)

Btl.17 (Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht) formed 19.jan 1917

Btl.18 (Heeresgruppe Eichhorn) - first company, Btl. at 22.aug.18

Marine-Sturm-Abt. (Marine-Korps)

Edited by The Prussian

Btl.17 (Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht) formed 19.jan 1917

The Sturmtruppen book by Jean-Louis Larcade says that Assault Battalion No. 17--a Germano-Austrian unit--was formed January 19, 1917, by k.u.k. Heeresfront Erzherzog Karl on the Russian front.

This new Sturmtruppen book by Oliver Richter says a Sturmbataillon was formed in October of 1917 by Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht von Württemberg in Flanders.

Oh yes, you´re right! My fault! That was the Bataillon at the eastern-front! Sorry!

Well.

In the book "Les gladiateurs" (Jean-Claude- Laparra) I read, that in automn 1917 a provisional was built.

It had elements of the Bataillon 14 and 16 and some austro-hungarian formations!

This formation was rallied in Metz at 1st of octobre. The elements of the german bataillons were:

Btl.16: 2.(württ.) Sturmkompanie and the Flammenwerfer-platoon

Btl.14: one MG-company, one company Minenwerfer and the I./Geschütz-Batterie (just set-up)

This formation was called "Sturmbataillon der Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht", it existed from 1st october 1917 until 14th, decembre 1917

Unfortunately I don´t have any infos about the austro-hungian elements

Edited by The Prussian

Oh yes, you´re right! My fault! That was the Bataillon at the eastern-front! Sorry!

Well.

In the book "Les gladiateurs" (Jean-Claude- Laparra) I read, that in automn 1917 a provisional was built.

It had elements of the Bataillon 14 and 16 and some austro-hungarian formations!

This formation was rallied in Metz at 1st of octobre. The elements of the german bataillons were:

Btl.16: 2.(württ.) Sturmkompanie and the Flammenwerfer-platoon

Btl.14: one MG-company, one company Minenwerfer and the I./Geschütz-Batterie (just set-up)

This formation was called "Sturmbataillon der Heeresgruppe Herzog Albrecht", it existed from 1st october 1917 until 14th, decembre 1917

Unfortunately I don´t have any infos about the austro-hungian elements

Thanks, Andy. I appreciate it.

The same story you can read in the german book "Deutsche Sturmbataillone 1915-1918 by Werner Lacoste (+)

The we read, that those new formed bataillon came to Metz, the 28th sept. 1917 to go to italian front. In Italy they fought at the Ortigara between Etsch and Breanta-valley. Then they came to the Isonzo to join the combinied attack through Friaul to Monte Tomba.

This bataillon was also called "Sturmbataillon von Breuning".

Ludwig von Breuning was, before he joined this job, commander of the III./Ldw.Inf.Rgt.126, after that he became commander of the Sturmbataillon 16. After the fights in the 12th Isonzo-battle, he returned and became leader of the württ.Gebrigs-Bataillon (28th, march,1918) and in may 1918 he became commander of the Res.Inf.Rgt.121

In my collection I found a photo of a group of that unit!

Edited by The Prussian