News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Remember Iraq 1942 Insignia

Schmidt - I fully agree with Dave - a pair of locally made cufflinks, sold as souvenirs to unsuspecting young servicemen. There was a big trade in these items - and the Egyptians thought the War was a great idea to boost their trade. Daggers, jewellery - even cushion covers with Regt. Insignia. These were for British and Commonwealth troops - however, don't forget they were also selling to the Afrika Korps and then it was in German - very hardworking are our Egyptian craftsmen ( and of course, their counterparts in the other Arab Countries.)

Schmidt - I fully agree with Dave - a pair of locally made cufflinks, sold as souvenirs to unsuspecting young servicemen. There was a big trade in these items - and the Egyptians thought the War was a great idea to boost their trade. Daggers, jewellery - even cushion covers with Regt. Insignia. These were for British and Commonwealth troops - however, don't forget they were also selling to the Afrika Korps and then it was in German - very hardworking are our Egyptian craftsmen ( and of course, their counterparts in the other Arab Countries.)

Thanks for your reply. This insignia was part of one big lot of one Polland Vet of the II Corp (Polland). Is it possible that saw fight in Palestine???? This Corp began in 1943.

Regards,

William

The 2nd. Polish Corps numbered over 55,000 men and - I believe - were formed in Iran. Many had been released from captured German army forces and rejoined the British. I would think it quite possible that they moved down through Iraq into Palestine - but, check this on Google.

William - please post the other pieces in the collection when you have time - and do a little research. I think our members will be interested.