News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - medal for maritime valor from 1912

Hello, this is an interesting set that was given to me about 10 years ago and has a bit of a story. It was given to me by a lady who knew I was interested in medals, the family who gave them to her were going to throw them out! The first medal is the bronze Al Valore di Marina with the inscription on the back: A. Magliano Alberto - studente - S. Bartolomeo (Arcola) 17 Agosto 1912.

I have tried and tried to research this man, even requesting information from the Italian government; the only reply I recevied from them is that they wanted me to return the medals to them! I checked with other collectors and they said I didn't have to thankfully.

The only information I was able to find from that inscription is that Arcola is another name for La Spezia, one of the larger naval ports in Italy, so that made me think he was awarded it as a naval cadet. Anyway if anyone has any comments that would be great, I haven't seen many WWI Italian sets complete before so I thought it was worth posting.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, this is an interesting set that was given to me about 10 years ago and has a bit of a story. It was given to me by a lady who knew I was interested in medals, the family who gave them to her were going to throw them out! The first medal is the bronze Al Valore di Marina with the inscription on the back: A. Magliano Alberto - studente - S. Bartolomeo (Arcola) 17 Agosto 1912.

I have tried and tried to research this man, even requesting information from the Italian government; the only reply I recevied from them is that they wanted me to return the medals to them! I checked with other collectors and they said I didn't have to thankfully.

The only information I was able to find from that inscription is that Arcola is another name for La Spezia, one of the larger naval ports in Italy, so that made me think he was awarded it as a naval cadet. Anyway if anyone has any comments that would be great, I haven't seen many WWI Italian sets complete before so I thought it was worth posting.

Hello Jeff

A very nice group you show. The Al Valor di Marina medals are really scarce, and yours is included in a most interesting group, which looks quite genuine.

I also have found that researching Italian life-saving material is most difficult. Collectors certainly exist for this type of material, but they don't seem to be easy to join, either because they don't read forums or because they are shy and want to remain private.

This was the case very generally with French collectors (but they are beginning to communicate).

Not being a true connaisseur of Italian material, I could not comment on the group you have. The epaulettes suggest an artillery officer, probably WW1. He may have received his AVMar when he was a student (not necessarily a cadet) and the other awards for war services later.

The interesting point is that the AVMar is worn as the most important of his awards.

All the best

Veteran

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

A lovely grouping of medals - Are they mounted on a bar or individually placed near each other?

The last medal was awarded to the Madri e Vedove dei caduti and was instituted in 1919... the Italian victory medal was instituted in April 1922 and unless it was awarded posthumously.... I am not aware if this was the case. So I have a suspicion this might not be a group per se. Of course I stand to be corrected.

Can you confirm whether the 3rd and 5th medals have the same obverse and reverse. Whereas I am familiar with the Medaglia Della Guerra 1915-1918 (medal #3) I do not know the fifth one and it looks like the same medal as #3 on the ribbon of the Medaglia per l'unita' d'Italia. Are they both "Coniata nel bronzo nemico" on the reverse? Could you attach close ups of obverse and reverse pls.

What are the years on the bars on the Medaglia Della Guerra (#3) pls?

Hello Veteran and JimZ thanks for the replies I'm away fm home right now so will post the close up pics as soon as I can.

To answer a few of the questions, the medals are not mounted on a bar actually so may not be in the correct order.

The obverse of the 3rd and 5th medals are the same but I will confirm that and check the reverses for the wording u mentioned. The bars are for 1915 & 1916 on the 3rd medal.

Yes the last medal is for Mothers of the Fallen, I couldn't find the criteria for this award apart from the title so not sure how it fits into the set. I'm fairly confident it is the one man's complete set as it was passed down by the relatives.

These also came with 2 Austrian bravery decorations and a Cross for being wounded or being in combat I can't remember which anyhow I'll post pics of those as well. Thanks.

Jeff

Not if these are the medals of say two brothers....

Will wait to hear and see more - post the Austrian medals too - perhaps some one may have a few more pearls of wisdom to share with us all.

Thanks Jeff.

Jim :cheers:

Hello here are some more pictures of the medals, including the Austrian group and another medal that came without a ribbon.

The Austrian medals are two Franz Joseph Bravery Medals and the Karl Troop Cross 1916.

Here is the unknown medal obverse and reverse with a rough translation:

Reverse: "As the wing that leaves no fingerprints had already taken the mountain"

Obverse: "45 Sabatino Division 6 August 1916"

Here is the obverse of the "Italian Unification Medal" but it is exactly the same as the WWI Campaign Medal with Coniata Nel Bronzo Nemico on the reverse. So either it is a different medal or the medal was lost and this used instead.