News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HISTORIC WAKIZASHI ?

Mervyn Mitton

Hello - Gentlemen. Haven't visited you for a while and have something to show that may make a change from Medals and Orders. I must tell you immediately that this doesn't belong to me - and I haven't seen it personally - which I always feel is the ideal way to test the history of an item. However, if it turns out to be as described then I would consider it an historic and important find. It currently belongs to a friend of mine in South Africa.

When new edged weapon collectors' start out in Britain - older and wiser people always warn them to watch for two things. Old British family sword blades that have been re-hilted and scabbarded - this was done to conform to Dress Regulations. These first came into effect in the 18th Century and if possible old families liked to continue with tradition.

The other Country new collector's are told to watch for - is of course Japan. Many old blades have been found since the War in standard WW2 hilts and scabbards and it is the ambition of most collectors to find an attributible blade from a past Japanese Master.

This sword may well be such a piece - and perhaps you will be able to assist in the authentication. Hopefully, it will not turn out to be another replica. There were of course, many different sizes in Japanese swords - some with a Military background and others, more for civilian protection.

I will show the pictures that have been forwarded to me - and then add the written detail. The Tang is well marked with lettering and this , of course, is where we look first for an old name. I must tell you that this is not always the case - I had a well marked Katana come-in - with some good stamping. This was before I belonged to GMIC and I had to get the Embassy in Pretoria to help decipher - it said - " The girls' of **** Arsenal, wish the bearer Good Luck" ! Quite a disappointment.

I must say that I have a few reservations with the blade - however, if it is over 300 years old then there will have been changes in casting techniques. Herewith is the description I have been given.

' An antique Japanese Wakizashi sword. Probably by KOZUKE DAIJO SUKESADA. 1633 - 1721. OSAFUNE , BIZEN PROVINCE. Signed to TANG.

Lacquered wood SAYA with small cast iron knife in carved pocket of SAYA. This has cast brass lobster to handle.

Weapon overall is - 63 cms. (25.5 inches)

I - and I am sure, the owner - will await your comments. Many thanks. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

Sorry, I will be of zero help in identifying or knowing anything about these swords - but you may want to try these sites to get some info. I'm not a member of or connected to this group in any way, but I do know of them since I'm in the area:

Northern California Japanese Sword Club

and

Nihonto

I believe the owner of this site is affiliated with NCJSC - he may be able to help. Worth a shot! I'm sure there are tons of similar sites out there. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Hi Mervyn,

I'm sure you meant "forged" and not "cast" when speaking of Japanese blades, the forging methods of fine blades has not changed through the centuries. At first glance the blade looks odd as there are no temper lines (I won't use proper terms to save confusion), however this blade is probably in need of professonal polishing that is best done in Japan itself. I have a feeling that someone may have tried to clean the blade themselves to make it look better. Having an old blade polished is an expensive proposition, by the way. I notice that the tang has no file marks which are important in the identification. Perhaps these were polished away long after the sword was made, probably well into modern times. There is a whole study into the different file patterns used so these marks should never be removed.

My other comment will not help the sword but may benifit other collectors in the future. The tang looks to have been cleaned of the rust found on old blade tangs. Never, never, never, clean the old rust off the tang of an authentic Japanese blade. Of course if the rust had not been cleaned off then the file marks would still be there as well. This rust is usually black in colour and can be used by experts to date the blade even if the inscription is of no help. Another word of caution regarding signed blades. Many famous master sword maker's names were copied by other smiths to enhance the value of the blade being produced. This forgery took place even back in the period while the original master was active in sword production.

All in all it looks like a nice sword but the value has been greatly deminished through all of the cleaning that I suspect has taken place. It would be a nice sword to add to a beginner's collection but I doubt a serious collector of Japanese blades would be interested. Of course this is based on the photos you have provided and looking at the sword in person and being able to turn the blade to different angles, in natural light, may show the blade to be better than the photos show.

Thanks for posting the sword and I look forward to hear what other members have to say.

Regards

Brian

Thankyou Dieter - I will pass the links to the friend who owns this sword and hopefully, they will take him further forward.

Brian - your words are 'pearls of wisdom' - and thankyou 'Oh Sensei' for correcting this old Westerner's mistakes on casting - I did know they were forged - honest.....

Actually Brian - although I knew you had a great interest in Oriental blades, I hadn't realised it was so comprehensive. I appreciate that photos are only a guide - however, would you hazhard a guess for a value ? We see very few Japanese swords in S.A. - mostly souvenirs from a Naval background at the end of WW2.

Mervyn

Hello Mervyn,

I have also noticed that the small ornaments that are usually found under the wrapings of the grip seem to be absent. I also think the hand guard could be one made from a larger guard that was cut down for use on this sword. I have an example of this on a sword dating from the 1650s so it was a common enough practise.

I would not hazard to make a guess as to value without actually seeing it "in hand". So much depends on that inscription and how much someone would want to add this to their collection. If the incription ends up being nothing grand then you are looking at a collector of lower end swords, that is not an insult as I have always had to collect in that area myself, because of economics. This is not a hint to purchase by the way. :lol:

Please keep us posted as to what you discover about this sword and if you do get an accurate evaluation.

Regards

Brian