News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia Lion Sun Military Division,Commander badge

Just arrived! A beautiful Kretly made, Persia Lion Sun military division commander badge. The dating of manufacture is pre 1872, since the standing lion has a small Qajar crown. Kretly was founded mid 1850's thus making the era of this badge 1850-1872.

Absolutely stunning, Markus. Congratulations on your purchase! You are rapidly building a true connoisseur's collection of European Lion and Suns.

The green enameling of the European orders appear a lot more durable than the Persian manufactured ones. What is the texture of the green enamel rays like? My Persian ones are slowly turning to powder unfortunately.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin!

The green rays seem to be some kind of resin overlay and seem to hold up quite well on some. I notice that even with the European made Lion & Suns, each maker has a different treatment, with some having a thicker material and some having a rather thin coating that erodes or chips away with time. It is interesting to see how all the lion sun medallions are all so different reflecting the individual artists that hand painted the medallions. From what I have collection in Lion & Sun Medal imagery, even within the same maker, the Lions vary. Some of the Lion & Suns that I have seem to be glaze painted on a ceramic medallion and then fired. Others are rear painted on glass with a gold foil backing showing through the non-painted areas. They must have painted these with one hair and extreme magnification!

Markus