News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Due to a shortage helmets, the 16th, 17th, 20th, and 21st Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiments were issued black oilcloth caps in September of 1914. This headgear was supplied with the waterproofed stone-gray cotton cover you see in the photo.

Due to a shortage helmets, the 16th, 17th, 20th, and 21st Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiments were issued black oilcloth caps in September of 1914. This headgear was supplied with the waterproofed stone-gray cotton cover you see in the photo.

Thanks fot the info...

Boy... what a bummer... you march off to war, everyone around you has a nice spiked helmet.... and you have something on your head that would look more in place at last months royal wedding on the head of princess bazooba of Linchtenstein....

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

I took the liberty of brightening your picture for a better view of the details!

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

If I had one of those on my head... I would prefer it to be kept in the dark... I would feel pretty cheated... caught up in the crowd, off to the recruiting centre... wine, women along the way.... wanting a picklehaube.... then "Ere, you! Put this on yer 'ead!"....

I would have run off and joined the Austrians,,,,,

Thanks Kevin for brightening the photo. I took it without flash as per the museum's rules but yes it did need a bit.

Funnily enough Chris that was the opposite reaction of one young soldier. The Adolf Hitler came from Austria to Germany and joined the regiment indicated on the museum hat (16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regt). As you say its a wonder he didn't change his mind there and then...

Cheers

Chris

Adolf Hitler came from Austria to Germany and joined the regiment indicated on the museum hat (16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regt).

You dont say...... ;-)

He must have felt cheated... everyone else getting a point helmet to impress the ladies... :-)

It caused quite a bit of problems for the units concerned in October and November 1914 as this headwear was easily confused with British headwear of that time. They received quite a bit of "friendly fire" as a consequence.

The same caps were worn by the Landsturm throughout the war.