News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collection German WWI with number...help

Hello,

Sometimes I saw and I have in my collection some photos (not Feldpost) with a white number (ex: S 141; O. 24, etc...)

It's certainly for the photograph but I know there is sometimes a list with the number where the photo was taken.

In german : Verzeichnis der "Somme"- aufnahmen. Photogr.Abteil. 1918 or 17...

Where is it possible to find a list like that ? or is there a member who has one.....

Difficult for a collector to put a name to a place.!:banger:

Thanks for your help and your time.

From Belgium,

Philippe

Hello Phillipe,

Do you mean aerial photos?

If so, I know that the numbers on RFC/RAF photos refer to the exact spot (or near enough) on the corresponding trench map. Is it possible that German maps have a similar reference? If this is the case then photographed areas could possibly be found online and I stress possibly.

Hope you get a definite answer as I'd find that interesting to know too.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much for your answer Tony...and your time.

Sorry, but it's not aerial photos, it's a photos taken from the Division or man.

I put a poskarte for exem.

You see the white N° O.25.

It's the same like you say about RAF. But for sector and village.

Here, easier with the name (Etricourt -Somme) but there are another postkarte from this collection...O26 !!! ; O.27..!!!, O.25 Etricourt, O.24 !!

This list are the name where the postkarte are taken.

Encore merci pour l'aide, thanks for your help;

Philippe

Hello Phillipe:

I have seen many WWI German photos with numbers. I believe that they usually indicated the photographer's catalogue number. A soldier/officer could then order a print based upon the number indicated. I have not seen photos before with the "O" or "S", but perhaps this was part of a similar cataloguing system and nothing more.

Best regards

Hello,

Sometimes I saw and I have in my collection some photos (not Feldpost) with a white number (ex: S 141; O. 24, etc...)

It's certainly for the photograph but I know there is sometimes a list with the number where the photo was taken.

In german : Verzeichnis der "Somme"- aufnahmen. Photogr.Abteil. 1918 or 17...

Where is it possible to find a list like that ? or is there a member who has one.....

Difficult for a collector to put a name to a place.!:banger:

Thanks for your help and your time.

From Belgium,

Philippe

• 4 weeks later...

Hello SchieBplatmeister,

For sure and you are right with the photographer's catalogue number. Thanks

You know, for exm: serie "S" it's the 27 I.Division Somme 1916.

There are list (from photographer Div. or officier) with names of places or the photo was taken...S 1 = Noreuil, S 2 = road Etricourt-Frégicourt....

I search list like that and not easy to find.

Tanks for your answer and your times,

Philippe

There are similar series from Flanders as well (just numbers, no letter). I think the pics were made by the Württemberg "Hofphotgraph" Stadelmann from Leonberg. I have a list of the Flanders pics, but not from the Somme pics.

You may find a list in the Württemberg Military Archives in Stuttgart though, since they have the complete series there as well.

Hi AOK4,

Thank you very much for your answer, I apprecied.

Yes, that's what I search.

List of series but not only about "Somme" but everywhere. There are lots of pictures N°

It will be great if you can sending your list via email. List about Flanders.

Sometimes there are N° and letter and sometimes just numbers.

Tanks too about the site of "Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg" I try to find inside, I tell you and I post if I find.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Philippe

How do I know? I have seen plenty of German photocards (and i have quite a collection myself), among them these series. Other photocards from this S series are definitely from the Somme in 1916, so this one as well. Most of them even seem to be from the Manancourt area, as for instance S 27 as attached as well. The cards are regularly for sale on auction sites.

The Flanders series from Württemberg doesn't have a letter. If I find my list back, I'll post it here.

Thanks.

You are right " S " serial is from Somme and like I said in the post S serial is from 27 I.Division 1 to 65 august-septembre after 65 S more later winter.

I'm the same " Schloss Manancourt", 75 S just more later in the same year 1916.

But You will see in my next post why the 29 S is mabye in Flanders like is writing on back.

Mabye (why not) there different list with S serial...

This is a zoom

177 IR on the helmet.

From the 32 I.D

ID 32

About june relieved and entrained for Flanders.There it went into line near the Ypers-Menin road, Beginning of september it was withdrawn from the Ypers front and sent to rest

That, why I say that the back from the pic is mabye correct and this pic was taking in Flanders.

To me and Like you, just the "S" serial is difficult to understand.

But mabye an other serie of pics in Flanders by the Saxony army !!!! why not ? but for sure amazing to see !

You seem reluctant to believe me.

I checked the photobook from the 27th Infantry Division. There is a similar pic in it from wounded English prisoners at the Somme, a similar pic is also in the regimental history of the IR 127, so it is very probable that a few pics were taken of these POWs at the Somme.

I personally have several photocards from a series by the 27 Infantry Division which are in the division photobook and dated Flanders 1917. This series has an "F" and then a number.

Another hint is that I found number 25.S which is described as "Fins-Etricourt Strasse nach Pailly".

177 IR on the helmet.

I'd say it is 127, IR 127 belonged to the 27th Infantry Division. (besides, no German soldier of a front-line unit was still wearing a pickelhaube in Flanders 1917)

I'd say it is 127, IR 127 belonged to the 27th Infantry Division. (besides, no German soldier of a front-line unit was still wearing a pickelhaube in Flanders 1917)

We are OK, pickelhaube in Flanders 17 ???

No, no I would like to believe you, because It seem you are on the good way.....

But you know on the helmet is more a 7 than a 2 but I doubt now !

If 127 IR again in Ypres in mid august 1917.

Now if 1916 OK "Somme". Do you have the similar pic of the POW . it will be great.

Because If think that you are right.

If "Somme" the back of the picture is WRONG....not funny !

You know the serial N° 25 S to me is " Strasse Combles - Guinchy " in Guillemont sector of the 27 ID august 1916. Amazing we have not the same indications !

Thanks for all.

Don't always believe what is written on the back...

After extensive research, you're right. "never always believe what is written on the back"

My apologies.

The 29 S, is well in Somme and not Flanders like written on back.

"Gefangene Engländer in Sailly" august 1916. 27 I.D serial.

A picture from Englander failed attack on 7 august 1916

All is well and a good thing.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 4 weeks later...