News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Letter to the officer from Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Hi all,

My next pick up:

A War Office letter from Col. J. Hamilton Military Secretary, to Captain Horrocks of the 2nd Batallion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, informing of His Royal Highness C in C of the Regiments decision to turn down his provisional promotion. Dated the 27th December 1894. Some tears along the folds otherwise a nice piece of militay history

Its pretty long and big piece of paper, so I scanned it in two parts.

Is this kind a letters regular practise at this time? Also I am not able to find any information about the Captain Horrocks. Is the text transcribed correctly? My bad eyesight and English can't read out much from that.

Regards,

Timo

19010495a9edbc_l.jpg

19010497802451_l.jpg

No.7247

C. in .C's Office

Fort William

27th Dec 1894

Copy of a letter from Military Secretary, H. Gds(Horse Guards) to H. E. the C. in C. in India, No.107/102/65 ? War Office 28th November 1894.

I am directed by H.R.H. the C. in C. to acknowledge receipt of your letter of the 27th ulto, & to aquaint you in reply that H.R.H. does not consider the reasons given by Captn A.M. Horrocks, 2nd R. Dub Fus sufficient to justify his being promoted provisionaly.

Forwarded for Information

Sig J. Hamilton Col

Mily Secty

True copy forwarded for info

B.O.

?/1/95 ? ? Captain

Adjutant, 2nd R. Dub Fus

To Captain A.M. Horrocks

2nd R. Dub Fus

Edited by Graham Stewart

I must say you have a eagle eyesight! I can't figure out almost anything! Thank you very much!

I hope the money was well spent for that item - as I mentioned, it is on the heay paper and survived very well!

Noor

Anything Victorian with signatures on, for the British Army and especially regimental is well worth the money. If it had been Northumberland Fusiliers I'd have been chasing you to see if you were prepared to sell it.

On the plus side for this one you can determine who the characters involved are, probably without much effort, all you would need is the Army List for 1894