News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I noticed this post card on ebay (did not win) - I am not aware of any ship bombardments (as depicted on the card of the Thetis). Does any know if this is true or an artist concept? If it is true, does anyone know the village, or date? Cheers Captain Albert

Thank you Bernhard, Yes I am aware that the S.M.S. Thetis (from the Asiatic Squadron) arrived on station DOA (Rufiji Delta) on the 26th of September 1905. I just was not sure of the possible bombardment shown in the postcard above. I own the medals and doc's of a Walther Koehler (Kohler) that commanded a detachment in DOA, and returned to Germany in April 1906 with the Thetis.

• 06 October 1905 Lieutenant Walther Köhler (Koehler) lands with a detachment of 20 men and 1 machinegun before Kissidju

Cheers Captain Albert

Hello all - not proof positive, but I ran across this information:

Upon his arrival Fregatten kapitän Glatzel of the Thetis took over all Naval units, as he was the ranking Officer on Station. Fregatten kapitän Glatzel would later receive the Prussian Order of the Crown 3rd class with swords for his part in the putting down the uprising as did Korvetten kapitan Bake . A Report entitled “Military-Political Report” dated 7 Dec. 1905 from Glatzel (Commander of the Thetis and all naval units in East Africa) to Kaiser Wilhelm II comments on the cruisers, Naval and Marine Units activities from 20 Oct. to 30 Nov. 1905. In this report he states: The new operative task in the relieved districts as “Forcing the rebels to a lasting capitulation through permanent harassment, with destruction of their villages (which they rebuild again and again), the removal of all livestock and food stores”. This was a very nasty war where the Germans resorted to a “Total War” concept to crush the rebel guerrilla War.

So I guess the card is not just an artist inspired piece. Cheers Captain Albert

Thanks Chris - I found it anyway. Nice write up. I uploaded a small article I wrote on the "British, German, and Italian Blockade of Venezuela 1902/03" here on this site. It is in the download area. Cheers Captain Albert

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/files/file/19-venezuela-blockade-190203/

I own the medals and doc's of a Walther Koehler (Kohler) that commanded a detachment in DOA, and returned to Germany in April 1906 with the Thetis.

Cheers Captain Albert

Can you show us a photo of the medals, please?

I uploaded a small article I wrote on the "British, German, and Italian Blockade of Venezuela 1902/03" here on this site. It is in the download area. Cheers Captain Albert

http://gmic.co.uk/in...lockade-190203/

Now, when I click that link an error message comes up. I'd be very interested to read more on the Venuzuelan blockade.

Cheers

Chris