News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US China Relief Expedition Medal

Hugh

I bought this medal this weekend. The medal is un-numbered, so I assume a later striking. I have a couple of questions:

1) I note that the inscription on the reverse "For Service" is on a straight line, unlike the notation in "Call of Duty", where it shows these words on a curve. Any comments on this?

2) I also note that the clasp has a simple curved retainer, rather than the rotating safety clasp used on most US medals. Any comments? (Sorry, not the best picture)

3) Any comments on the stitching?

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

• 1 month later...

Need to see the obverse of the medal. Gleim's Medal Letters P136 indicates a uniservice version but specifically refers to an Army obverse and reverse, which would explain the straight "For Service"....but you would find US Navy over a trophy of arms vice the naval service emblem depicting the eagle and anchor. Clearly a contract strike (the tone of the planchet and some pitting on the face of the reverse) but I can't speak to the uniservice reverse but without trophy of arms....interesting. I believe it's re-ribboned on a split wrap brooch with open catch which would be correct for a Navy version but it is not the original set up.

Edited by Sal

Navy obverse; so the obverse, brooch set up appear correct for Navy issue, but the uniservice reverse without the trophy of arms has me unless I am making a false assumption that the uniservice reverse medals had the Army trophy of arms....it is possible it's a later strike of the uniservice medal; Studley possibly? Need to float it by some folks more expert than I am. Sorry I cant be more help