News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My New German S98nA Bayonet - Question

Last week I bought this German S98 nA 2nd Model "feather" parade bayonet from a generalist collector. I unsure if its WW1 or pre WW1 - I read the leather sheath were in use up till 1915 so it may be WW1. The bayonet measures 66,7cm, without sheath 65,5cm. There's no makers mark on the bayonet or any other markings, on the leather sheath is stamped the number - 101. Any further information appreciated

Regards

Hello Alec,

It is possible it could be of WWI manufacture, even though I don't think the issue version was made past 1914. I think it is much more likely that it would have been made before the war.

Chip

• 1 month later...
    • 3 years later...

Last week I bought this German S98 nA 2nd Model "feather" parade bayonet from a generalist collector. I unsure if its WW1 or pre WW1 - I read the leather sheath were in use up till 1915 so it may be WW1. The bayonet measures 66,7cm, without sheath 65,5cm. There's no makers mark on the bayonet or any other markings, on the leather sheath is stamped the number - 101. Any further information appreciated

Regards

post-975-0-27097200-1319282474.jpg

I also have a S.98/n.A 'quillback' bayonet that has no markings at all - except for a number '4' on the inside edge of the push button, the same number being found written in pencil on the inside of the grips. I did wonder if mine was one of those made for Peru in 1909 that somehow escaped being sent there: if it was Peruvian then there would be a Peruvian State mark on the end of the pommel (and a number on the frog stud), so it might be worth checking the pommel to make certain that there wasn't one there which has later been removed. Mine cerainly isn't Peruvian, but nor does it have - like yours - a makers mark, or a spine mark, or any 'fraktur' marks on the various components (e.g., the screws). I have done a lot of asking around about my example, and most bayonet people think it is just a simple anomaly, possibly intended for German use or even for the Peruvians - and perhaps one that escaped the marking process because it was a trial sample.

Edited by Trajan