News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What was a Legionnaire wearing on his head in May 1915?

ralstona

Still trying to put together the full story of my great-grandfather who served in the FFL. He was wounded on 9 May 1915 at Carnecy. This was the first day of the 2nd Battle of the Artois. It was fought to take Hill 140 (Vimy Ridge). My question is this...what would he have been wearing on his head at that time? It seems to be right in that transition time. Would it have been a Horizon Blue kepi? A "skull cap helmet" with a kepi? An Adrian Helmet? If an Adrian then was it blue or khaki?

Any help appreciated.

Art

The Adrian helmet was issued to French troops from September 1915 on. Your grandfather would probably have worh the horizon blue képi.

I believe kaki uniforms were only worn by colonial troops, which the Foreign Legion were not really. But this could be argued.

Great, thanks Veteran! Do you think he might have had one of those transitional metal skull caps under his kepi? Also, another question... Fast-Forward a few years. He is in Syria in 1925-26 during the Druse War. What is he wearing on his head then? Had the Mle 26 helmet been introduced? Doubtful right? So would it have been a Mle 1915? If so, what color?

To be honest, the answer about the Adrian helmet was an easy one. The other questions I am unable to answer, but I rather doubt French troups wore helmets in Syria in the '20s.

I could not even say exactly what they wore.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran