News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What can you tell me from this image?

This picture is not mine.

Just trying to help a friend who owns it.

Questions: which branch of the military service this guy belonged to? What is the band under his cockarde? What medals should be possible on his ribbon bar? What is the patch on his right sleeve?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas.

germanwwib.jpg

He's a very senior ranking NCO who is probably an officer-aspirant/cadet. The patch (serpent on a staff) on his sleeve indicates he's in the medical branch. You didn't ask, however he's wearing a ring or possibly wedding band on his left hand rather than on the right hand.

His ribbon bar is difficult to determine, although it's big enough to suggest two awards. As a non-combatant (and NCO at the time) he might have been awarded something like the Prussian war service decoration, etc.

Douglas,

first impression; a Sanitäts-Unteroffizier of a cavalry regiment. He is not a SNCO (Unteroffizier mit Portepee) as shown by the lack of an officers' sword knot (Portepee) and no large collar button.

Regards

Glenn