News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The BEM is back!

Apparently the British Empire Medal is to be awarded again beginning next year, to the 'unsung heroes' who work within local communities. As you may recall, it was dropped in 1993 amidst John Major's efforts to make honours more democratic... which seemed to mean that a lot of people got left out as their work might not be significant enough for a higher award, but worthy of recognition.

BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507026

An ex-colleague of mine got the BEM back in the 1970s for saving a little girl's life.

He lost both of his legs in the process.

To cut a long story short, he was a policeman on duty when he saw a drunk driver heading straight for a small girl who was walking on the pavement.

He deliberately jumped between the girl and the car, pushed her out of the way, and took the full force of the car himself.

Result ................. one of his legs was cut off by the car on the spot and the other was amputated later. He almost died. The girl was uninjured.

His 'reward' was the BEM.

If he had been in the armed forces, he'd probably have received the George Medal.

The police have always been very reluctant to put their 'heroes' forward for 'proper' awards. :(

My friend Tanner got the QGM for the mad knifeman incident. I expect some of our Thin Blue Line friends here know Dan. He was stunned. As you said, HM Plod Admin ain't keen on putting coppers forward for medallic recognition/

Glad the BEM is coming back. Let's push for the MM, DCM and all those other wonderful medals whose ribbons on a N° 2 tunic marked a man out as very special.

PK

The BEM was always seen as a semi Police award - not nearly as many seemed to be awarded for the Services. I think in many ways it was seen as a semi-civilian

medal - despite the laid down conditions. Strangely enough it is worth more then an MBE or, OBE.