News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group of a Bavarian artillery Unteroffizier

My latest purchase. At first sight a quite common group to a bavarian soldier of WW1.

Here his Musterungsausweis (physical examination for military duty) from 1915:

Edited by JensF.

His special training included the Feldkanone 96 neuer Art (7,7 cm) and the leichte Feldhaubitze 98/09 (10,5 cm). A "Mauserpistole" is mentioned too. I think they mean the Mauser C96. There is also some kind of Minier-Ausbildung (mining operations) if I read it correctly.

Edited by JensF.

The battles he took part. I think he was quite lucky that he didn't joined the regiment in 1916. There the K. B. 4. FAR took part in the heavy fightings for Fleury and Thiaumont near Verdun including the first attack with green cross gas on june 23, 1916.

His awards and promotions:

-Promoted to Gefreiter on august 20, 1918

-Promoted to Unteroffizier on november 30, 1918

-Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3. Class with Swords: December 24, 1917 (nice christmas gift)

-Iron Cross 2. Class: July 1, 1918

His medal bar and ribbons. After the war he became a policemen, so I think the blue ribbon is the police long service award from the 3. Reich. He didn't used any devices like swords on his ribbons.

Now this is really interesting. He wrote a letter to the police to prove which awards he got. He writes about his EK and his Military Merit Cross which are listed in his Milit?rpass. He was awarded the Hindenburg Cross on december 13, 1934 for which he has got a certificate. On november 1, 1918 he was recommended by his battery commander for the Iron Cross 1. Class because he distinguished himself while rescueing 5 buried soldiers. In 1919 the recommendation for the EK1 was renewed but he never got it. I think it was lost in the chaos of the revolution after the war.

Page 2 of the letter. I think someone who was recommended for an EK1 for rescueing other soldiers did something really great! Maybe he has digging while under heavy fire or something like this.

Guest Rick Research

His permanent promotions are MOST peculiar. The routine norm-- very often for rewarding bravery-- was to be promoted as a supernumerary (au?erplanm?ssiger), not permanent (etatm??issiger) rank.

From the date of his Unteroffizier promotion, THAT was apparently his consolation prize instead of the EK1.