News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Friedrich Prinz zu zu Schaumburg-Lippe

In October I had an opportunity to visit the castle at Nachod in the north of the Czech Republic. The castle belonged to the princely family of Schaumburg-Lippe until 1945.

Among many exhibits there were some uniforms worn by members of the Shaumburg-Lippe family. One of them, of a Major-General of Hussars, that used to be worn by prince Friedrich zu Schaumburg-Lippe, seemed particularly interesting. I hesitated whether to put this topic here or in the German section - I decided to put it here, as prince Friedrich was an officer in the k.u.k. cavalry.

Friedrich Prinz zu zu Schaumburg-Lippe (1868-1945)

Upon graduation of the Maria-Therezia Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt in 1888 he commenced military service, first in the 5th Hussar Regiment of Marshal Radetzky and then in the 9th Hussar Regiment in Sopron, Hungary.

His military career, according to what was written next to the uniform was as follows:

1896 - Captain (Rittmeister)

1906 - Major

1910 - Lieutenant Colonel

1913 - Colonel

1916 - Major General

On the uniform there was an impressive set of medals that belonged to the prince. Please note two Crosses of Military Merit (one with swords and Kriegsdekoration, the other without them).

Please enjoy identifying the medals on your own. One medal I cannot identify is the one between the Hindenburg Cross and the Hungarian War Medal for WWI. Can somebody help?

Another interesting thing about the Castle at Nachod is a collection of orders and decorations, said to be an impressive one. Unfortunately, the collection is open to public only in the first weekend of every month, and I was not able to see it, and the castle is closed from November to April. So if you are planning to visit the castle, remember to do it during the first weekend of the month, from May to October.

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski