News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1907 Lee Enfield Bayonet - Police Use

Mervyn Mitton

This pattern of bayonet could never be described as rare - although it has to be said that in the last

few years prices have gone-up and good examples have become scarcer.

It was the main British Bayonet for the 1st World War - which meant that millions were made. Most of these

were destroyed after the war and for the 2nd. WW there was a shorter version in use. However, some Countries

found a use for them by issuing to their Police Forces.

This is such an example - the date of issue is shown as 1929 - however, there is an indistinct mark on the other side which may have an earlier date. The South African Police carried the .303 in those days and with such a long bayonet they had a good weapon for fighting in rough country - or, against over- whelming numbers.

This example has a very clear S.A.P. incised into one of the wooden grips - and could we have reason to be suspicious

about the small cuts just above-it ?

Mervyn

I'm not sure the scratches above the 'SAP' are anything to worry about. They look like wear marks of some kind to me - perhaps from having the rifle racked with bayonet fixed? Anyway, they don't appear- to me - to be related to the stamp, if that's the basis of your question.

Peter

P.S. Snowed here yesterday. :( Still, musn't complain, as its been sunny and shirt sleeve or light jacket weather for most of November. The real 'downer', quite literally in my case, is the fact that the sun rises at 7:30am and sets at 4:30 pm this week, so those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder [sADS] are already hunched over our sun lamps praying for spring! :off topic: