News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa: Order of Good Hope

zorg

South Africa's highest civilian award - awarded to foreign citizens for promoting international relations with the increasingly isolated apartheid state. Awarded (1973-2002).

First type (1973-88) badge of the Commander class of the order. 8-pointed multi-rayed silver star (4,6 x 4,6 cm; 44gr sterling silver), displaying two white doves on a turquoise roundel (obverse) and the national coat of arms (reverse). Unfortunately lost.

• 2 years later...

I was trawling through some of the older topics and thought I would share an example of the Order of Good Hope in the class of Grand Officer that was awarded to Lord Barnby CMG, CBE, MVO, TD, in this thread. Hopefully this will help show some of the interesting associated items such as the award box, certificates etc associated with this South African order. While I do not have the most up to date figures some references show that there were 29 awards of the order in the Grand Officer class.

The first post illustrates a photo of Lord Barnby and the award case for the order

Regards

Gavin

As a continuation to the illustration of the order awarded to Lord Barnby, I enclose photos of the obverse and reverse of the neck and breast badges of the Order. Unfortunately the rosette is missing in this lot. In this case the old SA Coat of Arms emblem is still present on the neck badge of the order. The final post in the series of three will illustrate the award document and some other associated letters.

Regards

Gavin

In this final post the award document signed by the then State President, Viljoen and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Pik Botha is illustrated, a copy of the letter from the South African Embassy in London that accompanied the order and finally the permission for unrestricted wear granted to Lord Barnby from Buckingham Palace.

A very brief biography of Lord Barnby:

Francis Vernon Willey, the 2nd Baron Barny was born in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1884. He was educated at Eton; Magdalen College., Oxford. He was mobilized in 1914, serving in Egypt and Gallipoli in 1915. He was recalled in to the position of Assistant Dir of Ordnance Stores and controller of Wool Supplies under the War Department in June 1916. After the war he held a number of executive business positions including amongst others serving on the Board of Directors of Lloyds Bank. He was created the second Baron in 1922.

Clearly still much research to undertake on him and unfortunately I do not own his full group just this South African order.

Regards

Gavin