News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with a kukri

Tony

Hello,

Is kukri the correct spelling?

I’ve wanted to buy a kukri for a while and just have done but needless to say, I know nothing about them.

Is anyone able to tell roughly when this one was made?

Should there be markings on the blade?

Would it have belonged to a soldier or could it have been someone’s kitchen knife?

Are they made to a certain length?

The frog looks very modern to me, any comments on that?

And finally should I clean the horn handles or are they best left alone?

It’s very sharp by the way.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Hi Tony,

I think you have a nice example though I'm not sure that it is of great age. It looks nicer than the more modern blades however I do agree that the scabbard is more modern, perhaps a replacement. These were carried by more than just the military and many, even the military ones, lack markings. I would not clean the horn handle but, as always, this is a matter of collector's choice.

Personally I like this one, nice addition to your collection, thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the comment Brian.

I like it too and was told by the person I bought it from that he thought it may be from the 1960s. He had much older ones but I went for my example as I'm likely to use it in the garden too or possibly even take it on a trip to the Somme or Verdun if I ever get the chance again.

Tony

Hello Pete,

That's interesting to hear. What makes you say that, are there obvious differences between those made for the tourist industry and those made to be used when looking at older examples?

Tony

Basically because I have had many, exactly the same these, through through my hands in my earlier years as an antique dealer's dogsbody. I started at the age of 11 in 1958 and they were quite common for many years. Of course I can't say for sure that they were not identical to ones made for use by the natives themselves. It was the same for assegais & zulu style shields.

Regards,

Pete