News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

dating please

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-10499-0-15355500-1329557055.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-10499-0-36210600-1329557067.jpg

hi can anyone date this tunic early victorian artillery officers ? gun and number 2 on some of the buttons

A nice tunic - the shape of the Crowns will date it from William 4th - 1830 - 37 - or, Victorian.

Some time ago I posted a long series of uniforms on the Forum - under British Artillery. The prints covered all of this period

so, you must go back and see if you find it ? Mervyn

Besides the thread mentioned, which does not really cover crown, but does have some rally nice pictures of the worlds largest Regiment - sorry could not help that. Once a Gunner, always a Gunner. Ubique :cheers:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/42318-royal-regt-of-artillery/page__st__20__p__391852__hl__+mervyn%20+mitton__fromsearch__1#entry391852

Is there a link to a definitive list and images of all the different crowns? Beside the basic King and Queens crowns I am a "babe in the woods" when it comes to them.

Many thanks

later

Larry

I'm open to correction, but I'd put this between 1855 and 1881, because that was the period when British Army officers wore their rank badges on their collars. A crown on the collar with lace edging around the top and down the front indicated a lieutenant.

I would date this officer's tunic between 1855 and 1880(in 1880 the badges of rank moved from the collar to the shoulder).

A single crown and silver braid along the top pre 1880 = Lieutenant.

Is the colour of the facings black or dark blue?

Artillery, to my knowledge, wore dark blue tunics.

There has been an interesting post under Visitor's Questions - which I let continue on Members' Identifications.

It involved two Crowns - with a red backing - mounted on a strange brass plate. The poster found it on the banks of a stream in Maine , US.

Should any of you have time, please read the two sets of posts and give your opinion. Bear in mind that until the 1870's we only had King Edward's

Crown. This tended to be rounded for the Georges - angular sides for William 4th. For Queen Victoria , Hers started quite angular but, later became more rounded.

Mmmmmmm - very interesting, but possibly added too. The Royal Artillery did infact wear blue as opposed to scarlet, although some Volunteer Artillery units are known to have worn scarlet, with blue facings, but in their case the lace was silver and not gold.

In my opinion it's an 1881 infantry officers pattern scarlet jacket and it would be nice to see the buttons, especially those with the '2' on them, as it would be nice if they were 2nd Foot.