News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is it? (3)

wm5806

Great to be back after the weekend!

Here's an interesting jewel, probably from around the end of the 19th century as it gives the maker as "Kenning, London", before his son came into the firm circa 1906.

Although its not Masonic but from the Oddfellows, I say interesting because it bears amazing resemblence in design to the Royal Arch jewels of the period, especially the twisted wire ribbon hangers and buckle, as well as the six-pointed star with the engraving.

Have a great week all,

WM5806

[attachmentid=25318]

Edited by wm5806

• 2 weeks later...

And this one is definitely to test you....

[attachmentid=25319]

No replies, so I thought I ought to let you in on the answer!

The jewel is from the Gormogon Society, a quasi-Masonic breakaway group in the 1700s. There's a very good article on them hosted on the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon's website which explains it in greater depth.

A very rare medal, it is thought that there are no more than about five or six exist in the world.

Hope you enjoyed it!

WM5806

I'm lucky enough to have held two different examples in my hand, but the picture came from a Web site on my cyber-travels. Quite possibly from the GL of BC and Yukon, but may have been from elsewhere.

Although not strictly Masonic, it is quite a desirable jewel for most jewel collectors purely because of its scarcity.

Very interesting story behind it - check out the link in post #3

WM5806

• 2 weeks later...

And this one is definitely to test you....

[attachmentid=25319]

<<< Seen in ? Grand Lodge Museum

A collar jewel of the Gormogons. Yasha Beresiner the well-known author and researcher, in ?Freemasonry Today? in 2003, said there were only 3 known to exist. The organisation was thought to have been created by the Duke of Wharton in 1724 when he failed to be re-elected as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of England. The inscription on the jewel ?VOLG ORD GORMOGO AN INST 5899? The date is possibly 1799, though it was thought the organisation did not last that long. The office names and the dress were pseudo-Chinese. The Grand Master was Grand Mogul.

A very rare medal, it is thought that there are no more than about five or six exist in the world.

I'm lucky enough to have held two different examples in my hand

Yasha Beresiner ... said there were only 3 known to exist.

True, very few are known to exist. However, in the past six years I have seen at least two in private collections that are generally not known to exist and I wonder how many others there may be. Possibly true to say that there are unlikely to be more than twenty? Certainly, you don't get many hits on Google when searching for it!

WM5806

Edited by wm5806

There must be more items from the Gormogons that survived ...maybe headgear , membership paperwork ...something. Even though they say -"There is no evidence of any other members other than Wharton and Dennis."They show 2 items ..the medals and the Jewels , so someone had to put up some money to have them made.

Strange ...almost sounds like a skit from Monty Python