News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DUI Identification (WWII Army AF?)

landsknechte

This group of items came out of some stuff that my parents recently found amongst my grandfather's effects. I know the ribbon bar isn't his (he was in the 8th AF in Europe), but the DUI has me intrigued. Does anyone recognize it? I believe the Latin motto translates to "so that men may fly", which would lead me to believe that it's either for some sort of ground crew unit, or perhaps a training unit. Also, am I right in assuming that the blue ribbon is likely a Presidential Unit Citation ribbon minus the metal border that's normally there?

--Chris

...also, would this be the DUI of an instructor / staff member, or might this be something that would have been worn by a student? My grandfather had some flight training at Randolph Field, and I'm curious to know whether or not this might be something that he wore (even if only briefly), or simply a memento.

Thanks,

--Chris