News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Death Penny in wooden frame

Hello together,

I´m new at this forum, and it seems to be verry interesting.

I collect usual German medals and worldwide bayonets.

But sometimes I got some interesting things from foreign countries, like this time Great Britain.

But I´m not sure if this death penny is original.

Can you please look at it?

Thanks a lot and best wishes from Germany

Chris

Hi Chris......

No it is perfectly allright...... That way you can find information on him on thr CWGC website and there are a number of people that are trying to re-unite the mans medals with his memorial plaque.........

There is one collection that I know of where the collector has all 26 letters of the alphabet and most of the medals that go with them......

Take a look at this........

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=36456&hilit=memorial+plaque

Mike

STEWART, WILLIAM THOMAS

Service No: 317228

Date of Death: 10/07/1917

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery 1st/1st (Kent) Heavy Bty.

Grave Reference IV. A. 10.

Cemetery: VLAMERTINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of David and Mary Ann Stewart, of Hawe Farm Cottage, Sturry, Canterbury, Kent.

Edited by QSAMIKE

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

Locality: Ieper, West-Vlaanderen

Identified Casualties: 1802

Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery is located 5 Kms west of Ieper town centre and to the south of the village of Vlamertinge (Vlamertinge is the modern spelling of Vlamertinghe). Vlamertinge is located along the Poperingseweg.

From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then straight over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing.

The cemetery is located after turning left in the village of Vlamertinge onto the Hugo Verriestraat. This road crosses a railway and the main road N38, where the name of the street changes to Bellestraat. The cemetery lies 200 metres on the left hand side of the Bellestraat, after crossing the N38.

Historical Information

For much of the First World War, Vlamertinghe (now Vlamertinge) was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances. Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July. Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.

The cemetery now contains 1,813 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Edited by QSAMIKE

Hi Chris......

Looks original to me.......

Got the info from the C.W.G.C. free website, they allow you to serach any fallen Commonwealth Sailor, Soldier or Airman from WW1 to the present.....

Mike