News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good Luck Flag

Spasm

Gents

Got this today. I believe they are known as "meatball" flags. Super condition and signed by the Soldier's neighbourhood (I think they are all names but I can't say my Japanese is anywhere but non-existent).

Translation would be appreciated if possible. Assuming, of course, I've got it the right way round :)

Thanks in advance

Spaz

Edited by Spasm

Hello. Congratulations on your acquisition! Your flag is known as a Yosegaki Hinomaru. I have a couple of them. If no one here can translate, try the folks of the "Firearms of the Rising Sun" forum on Gunboards.com. Some of the most knowledgeable collectors of WW2 Japanese Arisaka rifles and other militaria "reside" there.

Edited by Geokop

It says (Top) "Eternal good fortune in battle" and (right side) "Congradulations on enlisting Sage Hideo". The rest are signatures of well wishers.

Translation correction: the name of the soldier is Tsutsumi Eio.

No problem! Even after 19 years of studying here (Japan), I still make mistakes, as you can see if you read some of my posts. And family/personal names & place names are the most difficult of all.

Edited by fukuoka