News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P-38 byf 43

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

My Uncle brought this guy back from across the ocean when he returned from WW2. After he passed away a few years back she was all mine jumping

Guest aviator

A very nice example of one of the best service pistols ever issued. Surprisingly accurate for a mass produced military pistol, and very effective, with the ability to carry the pistol loaded and ready to fire double action.

I am very envious as I had a similar one until our Government decided that only criminals should be allowed to possess firearms.

Although the pistol appears to be in perfect condition it may have had sufficient use to cause metal fatigue in the safety system. The user should be aware that applying the safety on a cocked pistol locks the firing pin and drops the hammer on it, and if the pin lock is defective the pistol will fire. With a model of this age it is therefore wise to lower the hammer before applying the safety catch.

Hello Darrell,

I'd like to hear some of the history too, where did your uncle pick it up? Does it still work and have you fired it?

Here's a pic of not so much a vet bring back, but more hidden till the Europe calmed down.

The story (which I don't believe) is that an officer hiding in the shed at the bottom of the garden from the advancing allies forgot to take it when he left in the morning. The shed wasn't built till a few years after 1945. laugh.gif

I think it belonged to my wife's Grandad who was an old soldier from WWI working as a medic in a field hospital just a few km from his house. It didn't go to a POW camp but spent 2 years working in the field hospital before being released in 1947.

I've attached a picture of him, can anyone say if he's wearing a P08 holster?

Guest Darrell

Hello Darrell,

I'd like to hear some of the history too, where did your uncle pick it up? Does it still work and have you fired it?

Tony,

Sorry, but that story is long gone. He brought back several items, too numberous to mention. He was quite closed mouth when discussing this stuff.

I lost touch with them after I left home until a few years back when my father was the assistant executor of some of the items he owned.

When I was just a pre-teen, I can remember asking him where he got it, and all he did was make a grabbing motion at my chest. I suppose that tells it all ohmy.gif

It's a pity I never sat down with him in later years to learn more about his war experiences. Even on his deathbed before he passed on, rumors were he was mumbling like he was back in the war. I guess those memories are burned into your mind forever.

He was a gunner in a Canadian Tank, and I can remember him telling me about the dreaded '88s. He landed in Africa in '43, made the trip up through Siciliy, Italy (fought near Monte Cassino - saw the US bomb the crap out of the monastry) and then ended up in Holland and Western Germany at the end of the war.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Also, I have never fired it. I have some 9mm ammo that was left over in the same box with the gun. My dad says they always shot the gun shortly after he came back from the war.

Maybe one of these days I will try ... I'm not a "firearms" sort of person (since I left the farm decades ago). I'd also probably want it checked out before I attempted to fire it as you never know what condition its in now.

As far as I know its in perfect condition like others have mentioned. He kept it well oiled up and absolutely no rust or pitting anywhere on pieces that I can see.

Guest Darrell

Nice Darrell, does the local constabulary know you have it?  ohmy.gif

Let's say it's not mounted by the front window of the house tongue.gif

He was a gunner in a Canadian Tank, and I can remember him telling me about the dreaded '88s. He landed in Africa in '43, made the trip up through Siciliy, Italy (fought near Monte Cassino - saw the US bomb the crap out of the monastry) and then ended up in Holland and Western Germany at the end of the war.

Edited by Tony

Guest Darrell

I never met him and my step father said his medals went missing because of the children playing soldiers with them.

Tony

Man that makes you cry huh? sad.gif

It certainly does, always in days gone by, because no one gave a stuff. I had a great uncle once, who had served in RAC in North Africa , during the war. His reletives used to moan about him getting p*ssed, and then talk about it.

How ungreatful. It used to make me so angry. Yet, they still enjoyed the freedom that he gave them...... flame

• 3 months later...