News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian artillery officer uniform

Hi all,

I came accross with the military jacket in Dublin and I would like to learn more in order to make a decision to get it or not.

Because I do not know almost anything about this uniform, then help would be great. Unfortunately I was able to make only two pictures with my phone and the quality is very bad because that.

To me looks like it is artilleery uniform jacket first at all because "grenades" on the collars. Its this kind a "pinguin" style like a frack. Buttons are crowns with the older gun under it - like a artillery badge.

Also there is screw posts on the shoulders, what makes me think its an officer one. Also cufftitles on the arms lloks pretty fancy.

There is some kind a loops or something on the left chest, what makes me think that there was an awards.

Its came out from Dublin area, so if its not artillery, maybe some kind a militia unit?

Any help would be great to ID it, also approx value and rarity.

Regards,

Timo

20543247bac3ee_l.jpg

20543251c36863_l.jpg

Better photos made today also I did some "homework" + I got some advise from other forum.

So, it is surelly Victorian era (pre 1900) Artillery officer tunic. Owner's rank was Major or higher. Because golden lace, most likely owner of the jacket served with the Dublin City Artillery Militia.

There should be 9 buttons on the front. Unfortunately front side missing few buttons and one is different then others.

Rest of the buttons are all artillery ones with the Queen's crown. Unfortunately I forgot to check the maker on the back.

2055853952417d_l.jpg

one different button (looks like Edward period - WW1 replacemen)

2055853705b6d7_o.jpg

Bombardier’s chevrons at crimson collar trim. This one button is added later and should not be in there. Actually there are one screw posts at each neck edge for epaulettes as you can see on the second shot.

2055854308fd88_l.jpg

205585413b0a72_l.jpg

Two flaps at back on either side of vent with two rows of bullion and three brass buttons on each flap (sorry, on the picture possible to see only two)

205585476f0584_l.jpg

Senior officer arm cuffs (?)

20558545a4ef86_o.jpg

one edge is slightly loose but probably easy to fix

20558549f6838a_o.jpg

front - no holes, etc

2055855171aa80_o.jpg