News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

K/G 43

Guest Darrell

Are the firearms laws in Canada similar to the US or more like the UK? It's quite easy to get a certificate in Germany compared to the UK, my wife has one but I don't.

Tony

From what I've heard Tony, more like UK. In some places in the States (ie. Texas if I'm not mistaken), you can carry your firearm on your person as long as it's in plain view ohmy.gif

In Canada, it takes a motion in the House of Commons to get a license and then a gun permit (especially for things like firearms), then you have to have it concealed and contained in a Sherman Tank before you can transport or store them angry.gif

Things are especially getting ridiculous after the 4 Mounties were killed last month. But hey ... it's all the lawabiding citizens commiting crimes .. not the criminals. If we make all these laws and regulations the criminals won't get the guns !!! :violent-smiley-017:

Some people live in a dream-world flame

what details would you like/

Here is a bit about it.

This is the result of a marriage of the G41 and the Soviet Tokarev SVT40 system, which was incorperated virtually unchanged (due to the large ammounts of SVT's captured) The Gewehr 43 was much easier to make than it's predessesor and was soon being churned out in large numbers. Front line troops greatly appreciated the ease with which it could be loaded, compared with the earlier rifle and it was a popular weapon. All manner of production cuts were introducedinto the design,including the use of wood laminates and even plastics for the furniture, Tthe front reciver cover is plastic on mine.Both the gewehr 41 and the gewehr 43 used the standard German 7.92mm cartridge and were in no way related to the assult rifeprogram that used the 7.92mm Kurz cartridge. It was also used as a sniper rifle, in fact it was so good in that role that the Czech's retained them in their army for many years after the war.

I hope no one called the police while taking photos Laurence, it is a nice looking rifle. I don't know anything about them but it looks nice and light.

I have a deactivated 1916 SMLE which I bought in England years and years ago and apart from that I've only used the SLR when in the army.

I've been tempted to have a go with my wife's rifles and pistols but I'm afraid of getting caught with a gun in the car as it would be taken away from me.

Tony

• 1 month later...
    Guest Matt Lukes

Hi Guys,

That's a really nice G/K43 Laurence- have you ever had the opportunity to shoot it? My Dad has one in his collection and I was fortunate enough to get a chance to try it about 13 or 14 years ago and have to say it's a weapon you'd definitely have to get used to. One hell of a kick causing a significant muzzle rise- and I found the action somewhat questionable. I also wasn't a big fan of the magazine catch.

Now I've never read of any negative wartime experiences however- the Scharfsch?tzen who used them seem to have thought rather highly of them actually. So, I expect that my first impression (I haven't fired it since) may have been in large part because my main experience with semi-automatic rifles is with the M16- and that's hardly a resonable comparison, yes? biggrin.gif I will say that I do like the rugged feel of the K43- it's not a sleek, smooth weapon like the K98k, it's a lot more brutish and it does give the impression that it'd stand up to a lot of punishment.

Matt

• 3 months later...

Laurence has a nice example of a G//K 43 with bakelite front grip. In his postings he mentions that this weapons system was used a sniper rifle. I happen to own a G43 that is set up for that purpose along with a secondary G43 in its standard configuration. I thought I might post these pics of my own two rifles for others here to review for comparison purposes against my own, as well as Laurence's rifle.

Frank

In this first photograph I have attempted to show the differences between the two with the sniper variation obviously above the standard configuration.

Although I am uncertain as to the history of where the sniper rifle was used, the standard issue G43 had been issued to a German unit serving in Italy. It was taken as war booty by an American G.I. who brought it home and stored it in a barn for a number of years, having forgotten about it. The stock was a little dry, but surprisingly, the steel was not damaged at all from moisture, etc., and with three coats of one hundred per cent natural linseed oil, the stock came back fairly well.

There is some battle damage to this same said rifle's stock, around the front grip which I shall elude to in more detail in a moment.

Frank

A storage compartment was created in the butt stock to house the oiler, and contain the operator's manual, etc. This compartment was sealed by having a steel latch held in place by a heavy spring action that prevents the contents from falling out.

Riflemen who used this weapons system were issued with a special pouch made from rough leather, fabric, and very late in the war, even a sort of paper, that held two clips.

Here is a photograph of some of these items.

Frank

Here is a close up shot of the front of the operator's manual. Reproductions of this manual are numerous, however, this manual of mine is a wartime original. This example came with the sniper variation rifle at the time that I purchased this rifle five years ago. I have seen but one more original example since. It should be considered a rare item to locate, at least in the area of the world I reside.

The standard issue G43 that I mentioned previously had been liberated in Italy by an American G.I. does have some battle damage to it.

Along the front of the stock, that being the right hand side if one is a right handed shooter, there are some small nicks. or dings, in the stock. It is my assumption that these were caused by grenade splinters, shrapnel, or some other form of assault to its self. I have i.d. these areas as those being with in the red circles. Also, one will note that there is a small hairline crack that I would assume to have been caused at the same time.

Frank