News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Damage control question

TacHel

I recently acquired this Legion of Honour, it's my 8th but this is the first one with enamel damage this extensive. Is there a trick (besides being very careful) to preserve the remaining white enamel? I've already had a few small pieces fall off and I nearly go into shock every time.

Lacker? Glue? Prayer?

This is normal wear-and-tear on Legion of honor badges, since they were permanently worn when they belonged to a serving officer Their enamel has always been delicate and most makers would currently re-enamel damaged badges in the 1800s.

Perfectly complete badges are nicer to look at, but they were possibly re-enamelled or may have been owned by civilian recipents who wore them only very occasionnally.

Yours a straightforward looking badge.

Veteran

This is normal wear-and-tear on Legion of honor badges, since they were permanently worn when they belonged to a serving officer Their enamel has always been delicate and most makers would currently re-enamel damaged badges in the 1800s.

Perfectly complete badges are nicer to look at, but they were possibly re-enamelled or may have been owned by civilian recipents who wore them only very occasionnally.

Yours a straightforward looking badge.

Veteran

Frank, I would totally agree for a July Monarchy Knight's badge this is, if anything, in above average condition, I have seen examples in considerably worse state. Well done in getting it

All the best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...