News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gun Powder Flask (?)

Perhaps a bit of a long shot here but - nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am hoping that one of the members here can help in solving this mystery for me.

The attached pictures are of what I believe to be a gun powder flask. It looks to have been made from one piece of wood, with a separately affixed, unremovable neck portion. There is a carved pattern on the front, side and at the top of the reverse. The reverse side has what appears to be a round wooden plug firmly set into the centre. It appears from the round outer marking that there may have been something attached over that as there are the tops of small metal pins or nails remaining. The attachment chain is fastened to a ring which is attached to the loop end of a pin that obviously extends through the flask and is held in place by the burred end of the pin and a washer device that can be seen in approximately the same position on the obverse. The item measures approximately 8-1/2 inches in length x 4 inches wide x 3 inches deep. The stopper or plug for the hole opening at the top is missing.

I hope that someone can help me to identify this item and pinpoint the origin and period...and perhaps even the value.

Best regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

John - very nicely carved and interesting pieces. I tend to agree with you that they are probably intended

as powder flasks - although with the intricate carving I would have expected hunting scenes.

Just to 'confuse' you with a further thought - what about pilgrims' flasks for wine or, water ? This would explain

the hole beneath the neck as it would be easier to fill with a liquid. Do a bit of research - in the middle ages

everone carried them when travelling - and these have an appearance of age. Mervyn

PS. I realise that I thought originally that you had two flasks - which worried me a little. With only one -

and the Heart shape (usually associated with Christianity - I do think it is probably a pilgrim's flask.

Possibly Spanish - - or, an alternative of Italian. Please let us know how you get-on with enquiries ?

Many thanks for your feedback, Mervyn. It was most interesting for me to research a bit about pilgrim's flasks as you suggested. I learned that many of these were flat-backed, rather small and made of terra cotta, metal or glass protected in a leather case. These were used by pilgrims in antiquity and in the early Middle Ages to carry home oil from the lamps burning in the sanctuaries visitied; water from a famous well in Mecca or even earth scooped-up piously from around a worshipped tomb.

These were also described as "ampulla" shaped like a flattened gourd with two small handles on the side and a small spout. The size and quality seemes to have varied somewhat.

As you have noted, pilgrims also carried flasks for wine or water. However, I feel that the flask which I have described above, made of wood, is rather too large to have been used for bringing holy water or oil back from a pilgrimage; and also rather small for carrying water or wine for consumption during a voyage.

A collector friend of mine with experience in antique weapons and accoutrements (not a member of this Forum) has suggested to me that this is a powder flask, the origin of which may be North African from Morocco; or Asian, perhaps from Afghanistan. He estimates the worth to be between $75 - 125.

I remain undecided and look forward to additional feedback and input which may help to more precisely categorize this item.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update, based upon a website showing a very similar item which is listed and described as being: "A mid-20th century Moroccan carved wood powder flask and cord. VG original condition. 6 1/2" tall." It is priced at $110. Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.antiqueswords.com/product-1097-Moroccan-Powder-Flask.htm

John

Hello John,

Before I saw your photographic research results I too would have said it was a water bottle and Moorish in design. I'm used to seeing more modern powder flasks with a powder measure either as a separate piece or as a double closer that allows only so much powder to enter the end of the flask tube then this measure is allowed out and into the barrel. Older ones didn't have this measure and relied on the gunner to know the correct amount to be deposited into the barrel.

Nice find and really good research work.

Regards

Brian