News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some questions of period war photos and Willrich postcards

Greetings everyone! I have some questions on period war photos and Willrich postcards and would be grateful for any feedback.

1. Why were a lot of photos during the war and before printed in the form of postcards, with printed spaces to write on the reverse?

2. Many years ago, at a militari fair in England, I was told by a dealer that period war photos can be distinguished by the fact that all or most have a thin layer of nylon [or was it plastic?] on the photos. Is this true?

3. Would it be safe to assume that photos that were processed in Germany, up to the mid-1950's, would be similar to period war photos, as in they would use the same paper, chemicals and would be indentical? Which leads to another related question - how does one make out if photos were developed from wartime negatives and were developed in the late 1940's or 1950's, if the production techniques and materials used were similar to those used during the war?

4. Recently, i bought 3 Willrich Fallschimjager postcards, which were the first I've ever had. I was surprised to discover that these were printed on flimsy/flexible paper, unlike present day postcards? Were all period orWillrich postcards printed on similar type paper? The good thing is the postcards have a musty smell [which is almost impossible to fake] and I was assured by the seller that they were pre-1945.

Thank you.