News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help find my grandfathers WWII Regiments

Firstly, apologies if this topic is in the wrong section. I am new to the forum so please bare with me.

I am a huge WWII buff and have long been fascinated by both of my grandfather's involvement. However for all of their medals and memorabilia that I possess I have nothing to indicate with whom they actually fought with. My dad's dad passed away when I was little and I have very little to go on, other than his medals. He was awarded the 1939-1945 Star, the Italy Star, Africa Star, and the War Medal 1939-1945. I also have his Soldier's Service Book, which states he was a Lt. Cpl in R.E.M.E (I have no idea what that means).

I count myself incredibly fortunate that I was able to talk to my mum's dad just before he died (we live in Canada now, even my mum didn't get to see him before he passed away). I was enthralled by the stories that he shared with me. His medals are still in England with my nan, but based on what he told me, I know that he fought in Africa against Rommel, spent time in France, and, most crucial of all, was part of the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, which would lead me to believe he was a part of the 11th Armored Division (I also recall a story of him delivering tanks when he didn't even know how to drive).

Both of my granddads are from Sheffield, Yorkshire. If anybody could shed any light I would be eternally grateful. I apologize for not having much to go on, I can try and drum up some more information if need be.

Thank you all.

Good Evening......

Lt. Cpl in R.E.M.E (I have no idea what that means).

It should read L/Cpl which means Lance-Corporal.......

R.E.M.E. means Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers.......

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply! You are correct that is what it says. Do you know anything more about R.E.M.E's participation in the war?

Edited by RagingBull

There is probably a medal missing from your grandfather's medal group. If he was active in France and the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, he would have qualified for the France & Germany Star.

Your grandfather's next-of-kin can get a copy of his service record, which will tell you a great deal about his military service. I suggest you look on the Ministry of Defence website for information on where and how to get the service record, and a replacement F & G Star, if indeed it is missing.

Brett

There is probably a medal missing from your grandfather's medal group. If he was active in France and the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, he would have qualified for the France & Germany Star.

Your grandfather's next-of-kin can get a copy of his service record, which will tell you a great deal about his military service. I suggest you look on the Ministry of Defence website for information on where and how to get the service record, and a replacement F & G Star, if indeed it is missing.

Brett

Thanks, Brett. The grandfather whose medals I have was my dad's dad, my mum's dad was the one who was in Germany, but his medals are still in the possession of my grandmother. I'll ask my mum if she is able to geta hold of his records, do they charge a fee?

Hello and welcome.

This site should give you the information you're after regarding records and is probably the site mentioned by Brett http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

Tony