News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Toscana - AL MERITO medal

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Xtender

This is an interesting date on a medal for Tuscany : in 1862; Ferdinand IV had been deposed following the establishment of the Kingdom of Italy (1860).

The Grand Duke was a member of the Austrian Imperial family and retired to Austria after the victory of the Sardinian and French armies. Could this medal have been struck (and awarded?) to Tuscan loyalists in recognition of their services during the war which was lost by their side?. Both the Military and Civilian Orders of Merit had the same ribbon, it could be a medal attached to one of them (see Spada, A. : Onori e Glorie / Regno d'Italia e Antichi Stati Italiani. Milano 1977).

I too would like to know what it really is and eventually what it could be worth. It might be quite scarce.

Thanks for showing these good pictures.

Edited by Veteran

• 1 year later...

According to Brambilla (Le medaglie italiane negli ultimi 200 anni, 2nd ed., 2012, page 371), these medals were instituted in 1862 by the Grand Duke Ferdinando IV as "ordine del merito civile e militare" (militar and civil order of merit).

There were five classes: gold (big size), gold (small size), silver (big size), silver (small size), bronze (big size).

I do not have infos about their value. For sure they are scarce.