News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

English Masonry in the Empire

wm5806

Just as Britain turned much of the map red during its heady days of empire and colonies in the 19th century, everywhere it went, Freemasonry followed in its wake.

Here's a Past Grand Secretary's collar jewel from the District Grand Lodge of Bengal, and much bigger than today's versions.

Regards,

WM5806

[attachmentid=25905]

Are there many lodges today left in India ?

There was a Grand Lodge of India formed in 1961 and many of the Lodges on the UGLE roll were transferred across. However, a few chose to stay with UGLE and (referring to the 2000 Yearbook) there are still several District Grand Lodges over there:

Bengal (24 Lodges)

Bombay and Northern India (29 Lodges)

Madras (18 Lodges)

Pakistan (13 Lodges)

Sri Lanka (9 Lodges)

I know that includes Districts that are not strictly speaking India, but included them for an idea of the region, before anyone corrects me!

Kind regards

WM5806

• 1 month later...

For some reason, Masonry has survived in India, long after it ceased to be any sort of "Empire". Along with bagpipes and cricket, I guess . . . ??

I attempted to watch some cricket on the Telly in Bombay, between musicals.