News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New British Campaign Medal

Good Morning......

From our local newspaper yesterday.......

Yes I know that the mods will most likely lock this post.......

But the "Devil Made Me Do It"......

Mike

Good one Mike..........

With 8 days to go, they have just announced that the Security Company hired to do most of the general security

has been unable to fulfill it's contract. Now, Police are having to be called-in from Forces all over the UK.

The question you have to ask - why were civilian security being considered in the first place ?

Bit like South Africa. Our Police Stations are guarded by companies.....................

When we had the Olympics here we had civilian, police and military do the security.......

In most cases because of the size of the event there are not enough police to cover all the events 24 / 7 for the period of the games so they have to hire civilian companies......

Mike

For Mervyn:

Did not get any notification of reply to this thread......

Mike

Looks better than some of the pukka stuff coming out of MoD these days! ;)

I finally get to say something about that Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (http://en.wikipedia....Gallantry_Cross). IMHO, I agree that is not a pretty medal. It sorely lacks the classic appearance of an award for heroism and looks like something designed by a peace activist. If I had my way, the design would look more like the Companion Badge of the Order of the Bath (Maltese Cross), but in silver without enamels. St. Edwards Crown in the center is fine (Takes after the DSO). The ribbon colors are pretty bad, too; the rule is usually that simpler color combinations represent more prestigious awards. The Victoria Cross is plain maroon, the George Cross is deep blue. Since my design mimics the Order of the Bath (frequently awarded for heroism during the Napoleonic Wars), make the ribbon as red as that of the Bath, with a difference of blue and white edging. On a good note, the Elizabeth Cross (http://en.wikipedia....Elizabeth_Cross) is a marvelous difference in sensitivity of design, evoking the Military Cross (http://en.wikipedia..../Military_Cross).

Edited by dmiller8

Good Morning......

From our local newspaper yesterday.......

Yes I know that the mods will most likely lock this post.......

But the "Devil Made Me Do It"......

Mike

Well, there is precedent for this ... sort of. South Africa instituted a special medal for the police who were on security duty during the soccer world cup in 2010.

And the Police etc who worked security and investigation at the Sydney Olympics received a special medal. Lots of precedence, it seems. I really don't see what the problem is with using Defence personnel to provide security at the Olympics even if security companies staff the gates of our military and Naval bases. Do current serving personnel consider it beneath them? They are highly trained professionals, of course, but this is the sort of thing they are trained to do - in part, at least. But then again I was only a Reservist Officer. Most of my men and women would have loved to work such duties - build up their days for the year, do an interesting and important job as a change from their normal work duties. And I bet the staff, competitors and spectators at the events would feel safer having professional, expert and well equipped (armed) security visibly in place if (God forbid) they were to be needed!

Greg. (Downunder)

Greg - I wasn't aware that the security services were complaining about the short notice. I mentioned it

because it didn't seem fair that police who don't know London should be called so quickly.

With regard to the armed forces - the more the better. We must be a big target for certain groups......

DM - good comments on the CGC - but perhaps they were deliberately trying to have a clean look ?

I can't say that I dislike it. I fully agree with you that the Elizabeth Cross is a very attractive award.

Mervyn

Mervyn, I meant just the opposite. On the news here last week, it seemed like the Govt were going crook about the Security company hadn't fulfilled their responsibilities and had let the Govt know too late that they couldn't provide all the needed staff. I'd rather have experienced police and services personnel in place even if they don't know London than amateurs with only 2 weeks training! The police have my total support - only wish I could be there to give them a hand!