News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown late Qing / early Republic medals

drclaw

JC, Paul and I have been working away at identifying some unknown but fascinating late Qing / early Republic medals.

There are a few that have us stumped so I'll post these if anyone has any ideas.

First, a very unusual badge. At first glance, the woman and child in the image might be the Empress Dowager Longyu and the young Emperor Puyi. The hats they are wearing also appear to be Manchu or Mongolian hats.

However, the Mandarin characters on the top arm of the badge read "Zhong Hua" which is a formal name for China (post-Imperial). A Qing era badge would read "Da Qing Guo" or Great Qing Empire.

One possibility is that the badge was awarded AFTER the abdication of the Dynasty on 12 February 1912 either by the court in the Forbidden City (Puyi continued to reside there until 1924 when he was finally kicked out by Warlord troops of the "Christian General" Feng Yuxiang) or in commemoration of them. Longyu herself died just one year later on 22 February 1913.

Next, this very elegant piece was also included in a large collection of Chinese orders and medals.

However, it does appear VERY similar to the Kim Khanh badges awarded by the Emperor of Annam.

Ed Emering's excellent website has the following on the Kim Khanh:

This ancient and venerable Annamese award, usually produced in gold (Kim Khanh) takes its name and shape from the ceremonial metal or stone gong. In its earliest days, it was a distinction sparingly awarded to high mandarins only. Many were custom made with inscriptions specific to recipient of the award. Those awarded to the Emperor were often made from precious stone such as jade. The Annamese Royal Court awarded this Order to many French Colonial government officials and military officers. It was presented in three classes differing in size and inscription. The Order was worn centered on the chest, usually suspended from a thin red neck cord. The Republic of Vietnam resurrected this award in 1957.

http://www.themedalh...ench/annam.html

Anyone have any thoughts? It might be a Kim Khanh that somehow found its way into a Chinese medal collection. The inscriptions on the Annam Kim Khanh were also in Mandarin.

Here's an elegant little medal. Probably late Qing, early Republic.

The large centre character on the front of the badge reads "Jiang" (Praise, Award). The two characters in the banner read Wu (I or our) and Ji (Season).

The characters on the reverse are, unfortunately, beyond my Primary 1 level Mandarin to translate.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-11630-0-15131300-1343219860.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-11630-0-70855700-1343219887.jpg

On the obverse, it should be as you said Jiang and wu, but the other is Li 李

On the back I see Guangdong and award given. The other characters don't translate well and I assume to be a name.. probably name of an organization or something.

廣東 Guangdong-a province of China

巡按使李

奬- award

給- to give

巡按使李 searching online does not give much results, mostly broken links.

Thanks to Hsin, the inscription reads:

"Guangdong xun an shi li jiang gei"

This can be literally translated as “Guangdong Province Patrol Control Use/Employ Judge (or possibly a surname) Awarded” but as Hsin points out "Xun An Shi Li" could also be someone's name.

The characters on the obverse read: Jiang (Praise or Award); Li (Judge or a surname) Wu (I or our) or possibly someone's name

My guess is this might be Guangdong Province police badge or something similar

Edited by drclaw

Hello mars13,

Gavin the Double Dragon master (Drclaw) is still sleeping in Western Australia. He will comment on your beautiful double dragon medal when he awakens. Very nice medal!

Markus

Edited by Markus

A very nice First Type, Third Class, awarded around 1882-1901. Without being able to read the inscriptons, I'd guess it is a First Grade specimen.

The Musee de la Legion d'Honneur has a very nice Third Class specimen too. Here it is.

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4899

Hello

Thank you for the info mine and I think not vermeil gold, and it's different musser the legion of honor? If you look at the harry Molher this colection of the first class of third grade.

cordially

Ah, VERY interesting indeed! Thanks for posting these images.

The First Type Double Dragons were awarded as neck badges (even the First and Second Class awards) but they were not popular with their Western recipients who preferred breast stars.

It was not unusual for recipients to have their insignia privately converted to breast stars.

Yours also appears to have a Chinese maker's inscription on the reverse.

Same Type, Class. I'd also guess same Grade.

But there are clear differences in design. So they may have been made by different workshops.

Yours is a uniface (one sided) badge. Many of the First Types were double sided with the reverse of very similar appearance to the front.

Also the Musee example has the original suspension.

• 9 years later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...