News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British 90 round bandolier

Hello all, Ive been asked this question by a relative and not being well up on ww1 equipment, i thought someone here may know. Would Cavalry and Yeomanry have used the 90 round bandolier exclusively or did they also wear the standard 50 round bandolier as well. Thanks for any help.

It appears that the 90 round bandolier was intended to go round the horse's neck, so presumably worn in addition to the 50 rounds the trooper wore on his body.

Seems to have been issued first for the Boer War - a campaign wherin many units were out of touch with the QM for extended period. Not sure whether it was still in use in WWI but here's the spot to get more info. on this topic and horse furniture in general: http://www.militaryh...hp?f=17&t=11273

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

That was quick...cheers Peter, thats a great help. I am not good with WW1 equipment, I tried to find a decent photo showing yeomanry or cavalry wearing the 50 round, but to no avail. Thanks again, your input is much appreciated.

Benny

Benny

I'm sure there are shots out there if you persevere. In '14 the UK was slinging everything but the kitchen sink off their troops as the demand for equipment was so high and only as the war progressed were they able to issue uniform kit to everyone. Canada had the same issue and some of the re-cycled militia gear in early photos has to be seen to be believed!

I think I must have been a cavalry trooper - or maybe his horse - in an earlier life, as I'm always fascinated by military horses and their kit. Thanks for sharing the bandolier with us!

Peter

• 1 year later...

.... I tried to find a decent photo showing yeomanry or cavalry wearing the 50 round, but to no avail. Thanks again, your input is much appreciated.

Benny

From my collection: W. H. Johnson from the Royal Horse Guards wearing his M1903, 9 pocket 90 round, cavalry bandolier. Ca.1914-18.

Edit: I just saw you search a photo with the 50 round bandolier, sorry fot the misunderstanding.

9502686400_832f8a7006_n.jpg

W. H. Johnson - Royal Horse Guards by honoretpatria.wordpress, on Flickr

Edited by ionionescu