News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kevin - I'm beginning to think you have a tunnel into a museum - you keep finding these rare items ?

You are right that it has a Mitre shape - and if genuine will be 18th Century. Some closer photos would help,

also for the inside. Are there any markings inside.

The Crown is the rounded shape from the Georgian period and the horse could well be for one of the Kent

Regiments. Let's see what other members opinions are ? Mervyn

Kevin - I've taken it up to 400 mag.. Very often the mitre front was a metal plate stitched into position. The embroidery

work on this is not very well done - and it appears that a small centre to the badge is missing.

The horse - is it embroidery , or metal. It represents - of coure - the white horse of Kent , carved into the chalk. Again,

it is not well done but, then again it depends who actually made-it ?

The advice I would give you is to have a proper identification - contact one of the Kent Museums , speak to Christie's and Bonhams

and particularly ask Paul Wood - he has associations with a major firm. Remember - prove it is 200 years - or, more - and the

price will be very high. Mervyn

Don't forget the photos of the inside.

• 3 months later...

It might well be local militia. A large number of units were hastily raised and uniformed in the '45. ...see Tom Jones to whit......and this has that "look" of local equipment. Similar "plain" caps were worn by some snootier units in the USA at the time (notibly the Boston Honorable Artillery Company) . Stewart Reid would be a chap to ask.

• 1 month later...