News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Army Cobras in RVN

W McSwiggan

Several years ago I said I would post the US Army units that operated AH-1G Cobras in Vietnam. I had obtained a primary resource and thought this would be a small task – silly boy! The database was a mess with double entries and inconsistent key words. And a data dump was not available – hence much pain. That said, I’ve finally completed (subject to the possibility of error) the task. What follows is an abridged result of the work to help those interested when reading histories of this conflict.

There were four types of company sized units operating this aircraft: Assault Helicopter Companies (AHC), Aeroweapons Companies (AWC), Aerial Rocket Artillery (ARA) Batteries (later redesignated Aerial Field Artillery) and Air Cavalry Troops (ACT). Normally AHCs with Cobras – not all were transitioned – were authorized 6 Cobras in addition to other aircraft. The compliment for AWCs was either 24 or 12 (6 at 12 and 2 at 24) and all were ultimately equipped with the aircraft. All AFA Batteries had 12 Cobras authorized. All ACTs except one had an authorized compliment of 9 Cobras, 10 Scouts and 8 UH-1s. One provisional troop, E/2-17 Cav never operated the Cobra. There were exceptions and I will note them as I go. Please note many of these units initially operated UH-1B & UH-1C gunships early in their tours until transitioning in-country. The first Cobras arrived in-country in August 1967 with 6 Cobras for the New Equipment Training Team (NETT) and 6 for the first unit to transition (334 AHC – later AWC). In some cases the units were migratory and I’ve chosen to list higher headquarters and tactical zones representing the most typical case. A note on annotations – the Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS) in force during this time frame used the dash to indicate a unit designation and a slash to indicate command relationships; hence F-9 Cav was a Cavalry troop drawing lineage from the 9th Regiment of Cavalry. F-9/12th Combat Aviation Group (CAG) indicates the command relationship where 12 CAG directed operations for the troop. 7-1 Cav was a Cavalry squadron deriving lineage from the 1st Regiment. 7-1 Cav/164 CAG indicates the higher command headquarters for the squadron as 164th CAG. At this time only Cavalry maintained SOME actual regiments – the 11th was one and was deployed to Vietnam. ACT/11th Cav therefore was the Air Troop reporting directly to the Regimental Headquarters.

AHC

B Company, 1st Aviation Battalion, 1st Infantry Division operating in III Corps Tactical Zone (CTZ) under control of II Field Force (FF). See note 1.

B Company, 4th Aviation Battalion, 4th Infantry Division operating in II CTZ under control of I FF.

B Company, 9th Aviation Battalion, 9th Infantry Division operating in III CTZ under control of II FF.

B Company, 25th Aviation Battalion, 25th Infantry Division operating in III CTZ under control of II FF.

B Company, 123rd Aviation Battalion, 23rd Infantry Division, XXIV Corps operating in I CTZ under control of III MAF. See note 2.

48th AHC, 223rd Combat Aviation Battalion (CAB), 11 CAG, 1st Aviation Brigade (AB) operating in I CTZ under operational control of FRAC. Later reporting directly to 11 CAG

57th AHC, 52nd CAB, 17 CAG, 1st AB operating in I CTZ under operational control of SRAC. Later reporting directly to 17 CAG.

60th AHC, 10th CAB, 17 CAG, 1st AB operating in I CTZ under operational control of SRAC. Later reporting directly to 17 CAG. See note 3.

114th AHC, 214th CAB, 164th CAG, 1st AB operating in IV CTZ under operational control of DRAC.

129th AHC, 7th squadron 17th Cavalry, 17th CAB, 1st AB operating in II CTZ under operational control of I FF. Later reporting directly to 17 CAG.

173rd AHC, 11th CAB, 12th CAG, 1st AB operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF. Later reassigned to 11 CAG in I CTZ.

175th AHC, 214th CAB, 164 CAG, 1st AB operating in IV CTZ. See note 4.

187th AHC, 269th then 11th CAB, 12th CAG, 1st AB operating in III CTZ under II FF and later TRAC.

AWC

D Company, 101 Assault Helicopter Battalion, 101 Aviation Group (CAG), 101 Airborne Division (Airmobile), XXIV Corps operating in I Corps Tactical Zone (CTZ) under control of III Marine Amphibious Force (MAF). See note 1.

D Company, 158 Assault Helicopter Battalion, 101 CAG, 101 Airborne Division (Airmobile), XXIV Corps operating in I CTZ under control of III MAF.

D Company, 227 Assault Helicopter Battalion, 11 CAG, 1 Cavalry Division (Airmobile), operating in III CTZ under control of II Field Force (FF). See note 5.

D Company, 229 Assault Helicopter Battalion, 11 CAG, 1 Cavalry Division (Airmobile), operating in III CTZ under control of II FF. See Note 6.

235th, 307 CAB, 164 CAG, 1st AB operating in IV CTZ. This unit was authorized 24 Cobras.

238th, 268 CAB, 17 CAG, 1st AB operating in eastern II CTZ under operational control of I FF.

334th, 145th CAB, 12th CAG, 1st AB operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF. Later reporting directly to 12th CAG.

361st, 52nd CAB, 17th CAG, 1st AB operating in II CTZ under operational control of I FF. Later reporting directly to 17 CAG. See note 7.

ARA

2nd Battalion, 20th Field Artillery (Aerial Field Artillery), 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), II FF. This battalion operated 3 Batteries of 12 Cobras each.

4th Battalion, 77th Field Artillery (Aerial Field Artillery), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), XXIV Corps. This battalion operated 3 Batteries of 12 Cobras each.

F Battery, 79th Field Artillery, 3rd Brigade (Separate), 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) operating in III CTZ under operational control of TRAC. See note 8.

ACT

D Troop, 1st Squadron (Battalion equivalent), 1st Cavalry attached to 23rd Inf. Div. (Americal), XXIV Corps operating in I CTZ. Unless a squadron was an air squadron, it would be comprised of 3 armored cavalry troops and one air troop (D Troop). See note 9.1-1*

D/2-1 Cav. attached to 4th Inf. Div. operating in II CTZ. See note 10.

7-1 Cav., 164 CAG – air cavalry squadron operating in IV CTZ under operational control of II FF. Air Squadrons were organized with 3 troops of air (A,B,C) and one troop of light ground cavalry (D).

D/1-4 Cav, 1st Inf. Div., operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF.

D/3-4 Cav. 25th Inf. Div., operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF.

F Troop, 4th Cavalry (F-4), 12th CAG – later 11th CAG operating in III CTZ under control of TRAC then FRAC. See note 11.

D/3-5 Cav, 9th Inf. Div. operating in IV CTZ under operational control of II FF. Temporarily redesignated D-17 for a very short time then disbanded upon departure of the division.

F-8 Cav, 23 Inf. Div. (Americal), XXIV Corps operating in I CTZ. This troop was raised by redesignating C/7-17 as F-8. C/7-17 was reconstituted as soon as possible to fill the squadron. C/7-17 was used again in this manner when the squadron departed and H-10 was raised. Upon departure of Division, F-8 was assigned sequentially to 196th Inf. Bde and 11th CAG in I CTZ and finally to 12th CAG in III CTZ to end of hostilities.

1-9, 1st Cav. Div. – air cav squadron operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF. See note 12.

F-9 (sometimes unofficially known as H-16), 229th AHB, 3rd Bde (Sep), 1st Cav (Airmobile) operating in III CTZ under operational control of TRAC. Later assigned to Task Force Gary Owen on departure of brigade and finally 12th CAG – all in III CTZ. See note 13.

D/1-10 Cav, 4th Inf. Div operating in II CTZ under operational control of I FF.

H-10, 17th CAG operation in II CTZ under operational control of SRAC. See note 14.

Air Troop, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment operating in III CTZ under operational control of II FF then TRAC. See note 15.

C-16, 164th CAG operating in IV CTZ under operational control of TRAC. See note 16.

2-17, 101 Airborne Division (Airmobile), XXIV Corps operating in I CTZ. See note 17.

3-17, 12th CAG (opcon to 9th Cav Bde for a period) per note 12 operating in III CTZ under tactical control of II FF. See note 18.

D-17, 11 CAG operating in I CTZ under operational control of FRAC. See note 19.

7-17, 17th CAG operating in II CTZ under the operational control of I FF.

H-17, 17th CAG operating in II CTZ under the operational control of SRAC. See note 20.

D/229 as earlier noted – this AWC was reconfigured to an Air Cavalry Troop structure to serve with the 1-9 Cav as provisional F/1-9 then with the 229th AHB as “D Troop, 229” as part of the 3rd Brigade (Sep) of the 1st Cavalry Division.

Notes:

1. III MAF was a corps sized headquarters responsible for tactical control of Marine Corps assets in theater in the 1st CTZ. III MAF was given the additional responsibility of controlling XXIV Corps (controlling 23 Div (Americal), 101 Airborne Division (Airmobile) and the 1st Brigade of the 5th Infantry Division) effectively rendering III MAF a field army. I & II Field Force (FF) were Corps equivalent headquarters. I FF exercised tactical control of II CTZ and II FF controlled both III & IV CTZ.

2. B/123 was unofficially designated “Aeroscout” and followed a nominal ACT organization and mission having 10 authorized Cobras.

3. The 60th AHC was raised using the assets of the departing C Company, 227th AHB, 11th CAG of the 1st Cavalry Division and the 238th AWC in August 1971 using Cobras throughout its existence.

4. 175th AHC – information related to this company is somewhat questionable. Unable to verify with multiple primary sources.

5. The 11th CAG remained in-country after the departure of the 1st Cavalry Division in March & April, 1971. The unit was transferred to the 1st Aviation Brigade and relocated to the I CTZ to control aviation resources in that area. It was there subordinated to the First Regional Assistance Command (FRAC) which controlled that zone during the latter phase of the war. Comparable Commands were established in II CTZ – Second Regional Assistance Command (SRAC), III CTZ – Third Regional Assistance Command (TRAC) and IV CTZ – Delta Regional Assistance Command (DRAC).

6. D/229 remained in country after the departure of the 1st Cavalry Division. The 229th AHB was assigned to the 3rd Brigade (Separate) of the 1st Cavalry. During the period ending in the Company’s and Battalion’s departure, the Company was restructures as an Air Cavalry Troop and referred to as D Troop, 229th.

7. 361st AWC mission was support of clandestine cross-border operations in Laos & Cambodia in consort with MAC-SOG & Vietnamese forces.

8. Raised from the assets of departing C Battery, 2nd Battalion, 20th AFA.

9. 1-1 Cavalry was a 1st Armored Division asset attached but not assigned to the Americal Division. Due to its status members of the squadron were entitled to wear the 1st AD unit insignia.

10. 2-1 Cavalry was a 2nd Armored Division asset attached but not assigned to the 4th Division. Due to its status members of the squadron were entitled to wear the 2nd AD unit insignia.

11. F-4 (Air) Cav raised from the assets of D/3-4 Cav upon departure of the 25th Inf. Div.

12. 1-9 Cav added two provisional troops – E/1-9 formed from assets of D/227 and F/1-9 formed from assets of D/229 to augment the division’s reconnaissance assets. The division drew necessary scouts and infantry to from other divisional units. During this same period the division also formed a provisional air cavalry brigade (9th) consisting of this squadron and the attachment of the 3-17 Cav plus other assets from 9/70 to 6/71 (squadron departure date)

13. F-9 raised from assets of B/1-9 upon departure of the 1st Cavalry Division.

14. H-10 raised from assets of C/7-17 Cav upon departure of the squadron.

15. The 11th Armored Cavalry was the only regiment – only cavalry operated in regiments as a corps asset – in Vietnam. The regiment consisted of 1st, 2nd & 3rd Squadrons each consisting of 3 armored cavalry troops, one tank company referred to as a troop and a howitzer battery. The Regiment also had one troop of air cavalry assigned simply designated Air Troop, 11th Cavalry.

16. C-16 was raised from assets of D/1-4 Cav upon departure of the 1st Inf. Div.

17. In February & March, 1971 the squadron formed a provisional air troop (E/2-17). This troop did not operate Cobras as there were none readily available so it used UH-1C gunships.

18. 3-17 operated OH-58 helicopters as scouts in lieu of the OH-6. 3-17 had 334 AWC attached for Dec. 70 through Jan. 71 and referred to this company unofficially as E Troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry. The organization of the company was no changed and it resumed its former mission upon relief from attachment.

19. D-17 – originally the designation for an Armored Cav Troop organic to the 199th Infantry Brigade. Unit stood down in Oct 70. Raised for second time from assets of D/3-5 Cav as an Air Troop for a brief time and disbanded again. Raised for a third and final time from assets of D/1-1 Cav and assigned to the 11th CAG for operations in I CTZ under operational control of FRAC.

20. H-17 raised from assets of B/7-17 and assigned to 17th CAG in II CTZ under control of SRAC.

Edited by W McSwiggan

Thanks for the kind words.

My worst nightmare is proliferating bad information and I did just that!

For reasons I do not understand - I knew better - the first 4 companies listed - D/101, D/158, D/227 & D/229 were listed under the Assault Helicopter Company heading - WRONG! They were Divisional Aeroweapons Companies as part of the two Airmobile Divisions. I will correct the file - repost and beg some moderator with superhuman powers to delete the first and replace with the second. Hope to do this tomorrow - mea culpa...

Was able to correct myself - posting now reflects information as intended.

Wow! They need to pin this one - great job.

Edited by W McSwiggan

Glad you liked it - my pleasure.

Please see post ahead of this listing error I made - will correct soon - D Companies of 101, 158, 227 & 229 Assault Helicopter Battalions were Aeroweapons not Assault Helicopter -I am at a loss to explain my error as I knew this very well - only picked it up upon rereading today! Arrrrgh!

Original has been corrected.

FANTASTIC info! Thanks for sharing

Edited by W McSwiggan

• 10 years later...

While mindlessly surfing the web not long ago, this old submission of mine came up.
    Thought some might find additional information of interest.
    I arrived in Vietnam (on the day the first documented case of a Cobra being shot down by a SA-7 shoulder fired heat seeking missile) – needless to say I was enthralled.  Not knowing much about the situation I requested a unit flying out of Bien Hoa – a very large Air Force base where I figured I’d have hot and cold running water.  Most veterans know that if your wish is granted – something must be wrong.  Upon reporting to my unit I learned that the area around Bien Hoa was a hot bed of SA-7 activity.
    Upon arrival I was assigned to the 3rd Brigade (Separate) of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile).  I was passed down the chain of command to the 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion and ultimately to F Troop, 9th Cavalry (Air).
    What I did not know until years later was that this troop was the direct descendant from the very first air cavalry troop which was organized at Fort Rucker, Alabama.  The unit was initially designated D Troop, 17th Cavalry.  With the formation of the test division to prove the viability of the airmobile division and concept, D-17 was transferred and assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 17th cavalry, the Army’s first air cavalry squadron.  D Troop thus was redesignated B troop, 3-17 Cavalry and again redesignated B/1-9 Cavalry when, on the eve of deployment to Vietnam, the division and squadron were redesignated 1st Cavalry Division and 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry respectively.  The squadron and subordinate troops were the first squadron and air cavalry troops in Vietnam (1965).
    When the division left Vietnam in 1970, the 3rd Brigade remained in country to serve until June of 1772.  During brigade service, B/1-9 was redesignated F-9th Cavalry – a designation it retained until the end of hostilities and disbandment in March of 1973.  The troop was passed on to Task Force Gary Owen and finally to the 12th Aviation Group of the 1st Aviation Brigade.  At the end of the US direct involvement in hostilities there were only 7 air cavalry troops remaining in country down from 33 at the peak.  When the troop was disbanded it held the honor of being the oldest air cavalry troop and the longest serving troop in Vietnam (air or ground).
    Very proud to have been a member of this noteworthy, remarkable and heroic organization.