News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help please - seeking info about a Scottish policeman, late 19th C

Hi Everyone,

A badge-collecting friend of mine in New Zealand asked me for help but I'm floundering with this one...he is trying to find out any facts about his G/Grandfather, who was a Scottish policeman, named Andrew DAVIDSON from Hawick Police. The photo I've got has the collar initials HBP, which I assume to be Hawick Borough Police? His collar number appears to be "13".
    Dates are uncertain but my friend believes the picture to date from around 1880.
    In 1915, the gentleman then emigrated via Australia to New Zealand and purchased a farm, which my friend still owns today - nice legacy to spend his commutation on!

I am retired police myself but have little experience in this type of historical research. I know the Mets were tidy record keepers but imagine the county and borough records will be less available. That said I would be very grateful for any information about the constable or indeed the force itself.

Not sure how to upload pictures but here (hopefully) is a link to my photobucket picture library:-

http://i1262.photobu...Davidson001.jpg

A very stern, dour, Presbyterian man with a penchant for whiskey I am reliably informed. Good for him!

Many thanks in anticipation gents.

Kevin.

He shouldn't be too hard to track down given that he lived in a relatively small town. He will no doubt be listed in the ten-yearly census records for the Burgh of Hawick.

A good place to start is here:http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

And this may be very helpful:

A series of articles on the history of local police was published in the Hawick Archaeological Society's transactions. All were written by Sergeant George Dorward:

• "History of Local Police - Part I (up to 1850)", 1965 transactions, pages 27-46
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 1) (up to November 1861)", 1966 transactions, pages 3-26
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 2) (up to 1871)", 1967 transactions, pages 3-24
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 3) (up to 1880)", 1968 transactions, pages 3-17
    • "History of Local Police (1881 to present day)", 1969 transactions, pages 5-14

http://www.airchieoliver.co.uk/

Edited by NickLangley

Suggest you try here, as Hawick was absorbed into LBP. They have a police museum on The Royal Mile.

http://www.lbp.police.uk/contact_us.aspx

PS - It's great being a RETIRED cop, isn't it !! :)

Many thanks. Yes, it' certainly is. I've got the blood pressure of a 16yr old now!

Any more books anticipated?

Kind regards,

Kevin Elliott

(Former Hampshire Sgt)

He shouldn't be too hard to track down given that he lived in a relatively small town. He will no doubt be listed in the ten-yearly census records for the Burgh of Hawick.

A good place to start is here:http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

And this may be very helpful:

A series of articles on the history of local police was published in the Hawick Archaeological Society's transactions. All were written by Sergeant George Dorward:

• "History of Local Police - Part I (up to 1850)", 1965 transactions, pages 27-46
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 1) (up to November 1861)", 1966 transactions, pages 3-26
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 2) (up to 1871)", 1967 transactions, pages 3-24
    • "History of Local Police - Part II (section 3) (up to 1880)", 1968 transactions, pages 3-17
    • "History of Local Police (1881 to present day)", 1969 transactions, pages 5-14

http://www.airchieoliver.co.uk/

Super job Nick. I'll pass this on to my friend. All looking very promising.

Thank you.

Kevin.

Hi, another retired cop here! I had not heard of Hawick having such a collar badge -but being such a wee force (which was merged a long time ago), there would not have been many on the go.

The late John Green in his book

SCOTTISH INSIGNIA, AS USED BY OLD POLICE FORCES

shows a very clear photograph of a Hawick Burgh Police helmet badge, and it seems to match the one in the photo of PC Davidson.

John's book describes the Force as:

"Hawick Burgh Police was a small force that was formed in 1840. It had just nine members in 1870, but by 1900 their ranks had been swelled to fifteen members, and by 1922 the strength was nineteen members. In 1930 the force merged into the Roxburghshire Constabulary."

Hope this helps

Dave

(Inverness)

Edited by conner395

Dave,

Thank you very much. My mate has been supplied with a hyperlink to this thread and is picking up these snippets of information daily. It is all adding to the overall picture and I'm sure he'll be delighted with all the kind help.

You and I are at the opposite ends of the British Isles. Down here we are shandy-drinking southerners. I bet I know what your tipple is up there ;-)

Kind regards,

Kevin.

Dave,

Thank you very much. My mate has been supplied with a hyperlink to this thread and is picking up these snippets of information daily. It is all adding to the overall picture and I'm sure he'll be delighted with all the kind help.

You and I are at the opposite ends of the British Isles. Down here we are shandy-drinking southerners. I bet I know what your tipple is up there ;-)

Kind regards,

Kevin.

Glad to be of service.