News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Queen's South Africa to Imperial Yeomanry

Hello fellows,

Here is a very nice QSA I picked up a couple weeks ago here in Kelowna, BC. issued to Frederick William Fleet (#31929) of the Imperial Yeomanry division. Like many Cavalry issued medals, this one has many nice bars, five to be exact. It starts with Cape Colony, then adds the Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, and South Africa 1902. He was in the 63rd Company, 1st Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry. I have one other QSA I received a couple years ago, but the name was erased and only had fewer bars. Luckily, this medal came with all research done already (sometimes it comes up easy) and it is a good read. Just wanted to show it off and see if anyone else has any corresponding information on the unit mentioned.

Anyways, here are a couple pics.

Cheers, Pathttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-1212-0-27059600-1354397405.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-1212-0-96842100-1354397415.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-1212-0-41693100-1354397433.jpg

Guest pikemedals

hi the 63rd company 1st battaloin strenght was 135 in the war.115 got the S.A.1901 clasp.and 115 got the S.A.1902 clasp out of the 135 men.on his service papers did he stay only in the 63rd.gordon book say the 63rd never got the transvaaal clasp.the book may be wrong. nice medal

Thanks for the info Pikemedals, much appreciated. To answer your questions, the research I have doesn't have any specific battle information, just his sign-up sheets and medals he was awarded. It does show he was awarded all five clasps in the documents, including the Transvaal so that is an interesting piece of information. Perhaps he was "loaned" to another company for a spell, I wish the documentation was full, but it does have a fair bit of information.

Thanks again,

Pat

Pat - since the medal only has date and Province bars it means he didn't take part in any major engagements.

However, he saw a lot of service and it is a nice medal to a good unit. He may very well have been on detached

duty for a while to earn the Transvaal bar - what does his record say ? Mervyn

Hey guys, I have scoured the documentation to find these corresponding facts: He served 1 year and 158 days in theatre of South Africa (21 days of Service in England and 7 days after returning for a grandtotal of 186 days served.) F.W. Fleet was in South Africa from March 23, 1901 to August 27, 1902. Fleet was awarded the QSA, with the C.C., O.F.S., Trans., S.A.1901+2 (actual abbreviations on documents in handwriting)clasps. He was discharged at the rank of Trooper as a member of the 32nd Company of the 2nd Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry. This explains how he received the Transvaal as he would have transferred from the 63rd Company of the 1st Battalion. I think a further look has solved the mystery gentlemen. P.S. He was a fireman in civilian life with tattoos on his forearms at the time of enlistment, and he was discharged with very good conduct. Pat

Well Mervyn, Kelowna is about 3 hours drive inland from Vancouver, BC. It is known as the summer (and winter) playground of Western Canada with the beautiful hot weather, multiple lakes, wineries, ski hills etc. It is the biggest city in the Okanagan Valley, kind of a cross between California with all the summer tourists and Florida with all the retirees who live here. A great place to visit if you're ever in Canada.

Cheers,

Pat

Thankyou Pat - I just couldn't place where it was. I have never visited Canada - which is a pity as I have obviously missed a lot. People

have always told me that Vancouver is a lovely city and I did once think of moving there. Not a possibility these days. Mervyn

I have never visited Canada - which is a pity as I have obviously missed a lot. People

have always told me that Vancouver is a lovely city... Mervyn

Vancouverites will tell you 'Yeah, it rains a lot here, but at least you don't have to shovel it." We effete easterners respond that "We have moss on the trees here too. but at least you don't have to shovel it!" Seriously, a lovely city. You'd also find yourself at home in Victoria, probably the most "British" of Canada's cities, including the nationally renowned high tea at the Empress Hotel.

• 3 months later...