News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Met Police Divisions as found on Jubilee/Coronation Medals

Further to a recent post here is a list of all the Met Divisions with the 1910 designations and earlier Divisional names:

CO Commissioner’s Office (Scotland Yard)

A Whitehall

B Chelsea (originally Westminster)

C St. James’s

D Marylebone (originally St Marylebone)

E Holborn

F Paddington

G Finsbury

H Whitechapel

J Hackney (originally Bethnal Green)

K Bow

L Lambeth

M Southwark

N Islington

P Camberwell

R Greenwich

S Hampstead

T Hammersmith (originally Kensington)

V Wandsworth

W Clapham

X Kilburn (originally Paddington)

Y Highgate

TA Thames

1st Woolwich (Dockyard and Arsenal)

2nd Portsmouth (Dockyard)

3rd Devonport (Dockyard)

4th Chatham (Dockyard & Sheerness Dkyd)

5th Pembroke (Dockyard)

There are also the following which were created later:

6th Rosyth (Dockyard) created 1914

Z Croydon created 1921

1887 medals for Thames show TA Div but later issues show Thames in full.

Metropolitan Police Force : Thames Division Jubilee/Coronation medals

Here are my much cherished Great Grandfathers Jubilee & Coronation medals that are proudly displayed at the Met Police Marine Support Unit (Thames Division) Museum, Wapping, London. My G/Grandfather was Inspector Alfred George Hart born 1871 who joined the Met in 1894 & retired in 1922, warrant no 79362. He served the majority of his service on Thames Division although he also served a period of time at CO.

While researching my Great Grandfather I have discovered my Great Great Grandfather was also an Inspector in the Met and served on Thames Division. I'm having trouble finding his warrant no, can anyone out there give me a kick start please ? His details are John Stubbs born 1851 and believed to have joined the Met 1871.

Nice picture of your great grandfather

For your gg grandfather I have found two Stubbs who were in Thames Division around the correct timeframe:

John Stubbs who finished as a Ch Insp in Thames but would have been only 16 when he joined in 1867 if he is the man, which is highly unlikely

Joseph Stubbs who finished as an Insp in Thames and did actually join in 1871

Their details are:

John Stubbs - Warrant No 49099 joined 20/12/1867 and retired 05/12/1898 as a Ch Insp in Thames Div

Joseph Stubbs - Warrant No 55018 joined 26/12/1871 and retired 12/12/1897 as an Insp in Thames Div

Both would be entitled to the 1887 Medal with 1897 bar and neither returned as a pensioner for the 1902 or 1911 Coronations

I have just checked another resource which shows Joseph Stubbs retired as an Insp(3) - now this is effectively a Police Sergeant. Originally Thames Div did not have PSs but Insp(3)s.

It was to do with their ability to stop and search for customs etc and it was felt that the title PS did not carry sufficient weight, so they were classed as Insp 3rd grade.

This practice stopped in around 1902 when Thames adopted the rank of PS in line with other parts of the Met

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 2 weeks later...

Craig

Never really fancied taking to the water but I was a cadet at Tower Bridge !! Penge was my first station but I have served all over the South East - P, RDPG, TSG, R, M & SO.

Penge police station is one of the oldest working police stations in the Met police (1872 - present) although I think its days are numbered under the service re organisation that is coming.....