News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Try again - Model 1881 Officer's Dress helmet Infantry - Reg. Staff

This is a restoration project. The helmet (Officer's) had a staff plate, Mass. Side buttons and no top assembly. I changed the eagle plate to Infantry, found missing parts and got as black plume. I believe the black plume was worn by company grade Infantry Officers on the Regimental Staff - as the white plume was worn by Field Grade Officers. I will change out to the white plume when I locate one. Comments welcome.

Edited by army historian

It's been my impression, that the US Army has always had relatively practical "field" headgear... So, I've always wondered why the US Army adopted these helmets... Do you know the history of why these were adopted? How long were they in use?

After the Civil War US Army officers were not happy with their headgear - shakos and kepis. The French adventure into Mexico in the 1860s and their defeat in the 1870 Frano-Prussian War ended French military fashion for the US. The New style 1872 dress helmet was supposedly a stylized classical Greek helmet, it was in fact influenced by the Prussian and British style service helmets. This was a very different style for the US. The 1872 helmets were only issued to the Cavalry, Light Artillery, and Signal Corp (troops that were mounted). This caused an outcry from the rest of the Army Officers that wanted the stylish Dress helmets. So in 1879-1880 the Army devised the "Model 1881" dress helmet (more British looking that the 1872 model). Some of the State National Guards (New York, etc.) had in 1878 adopted their own dress helmets. This helmet fit in the military fashion of the times. Note: These were "Dress Helmets" and not field (campaign headgear). The kepis, sun helmet, and slouch hats were worn in the field. The 1872 and 1881 helmets lasted to 1902-03 when the Army redesigned the dress uniforms and went to the "Bell Crown" visor cap. I have also decided to build a white plume for my Officer's dress helmet, as acquiring one (not with helmet) is about impossible. Here is a start on the white plume. Note: I have done restorations, rebuilds, etc. for years. At the end of this is a "model 1902" cavalry dress uniform.

M1902

Edited by army historian

You are welcome. I should of added that all Infantry Officers Captain and below (Company Grade), and all other dismounted soldiers (all branches) wore the spiked helmet. The enlisted men wore leather chin straps and if mounted had horse hair plumes. Here is the Officers Helmet as a Infantry Company Grade Officer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks - this one was relative easy compared to some projects. The worst part was "Stiffening" the helmet. It is so old and fragile that it wobbled and was sinking where the fitting were, and slightly miss shaped. I used Aleene's Stiffen Quick on the inside, it worked great and did not leave any residue. The netting for the plume, I hand made (that was not easy either). Here is one that is coming in the mail. We will see what I can do. It is a "trashed" US Model 1872 Officer's kepi.