News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RFC/RAF Officers' Cap Badge

I recently acquired this nicely made officer's capbadge. The style with the large pearls above the bars

is typical of the 1st World War and also for the period of the 1920's and 30's. However, I think this is

for the Royal Flying Corps.

This is probably a Gaunt made badge - in which case it would have had a metal plate - or,a cut out in

black felt behind the badge. I have cut an outline in black paper to show how it would have looked.

Any confirmation will be welcome.

...................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-6209-0-03472800-1358418821.jpgclick..........................

With a bit of black card cutout behind to show original appearance.

.........................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-6209-0-25677600-1358419083.jpgclick..........................

• 3 weeks later...

As it's all metal my guess would be a Warrant Officer cap badge rather than an officer. Economy versions were worn by some officers in WW2 that were all metal on a black felt padding but this is not one of those (the economy version unlikely to have had the jewels coloured etc.).

The RFC did not wear this design it only came out once they were the RAF. I suspect this is a more modern badge. Judging by the size of the crown relative to the rest it could even be a beret badge. My guess would be post war but pre St Edward's crown era.

Edited by milhistry

The RFC did not wear this design it only came out once they were the RAF. I suspect this is a more modern badge. Judging by the size of the crown relative to the rest it could even be a beret badge. My guess would be post war but pre St Edward's crown era.

I'm not sure it's a beret badge, though I can't quarrel with 'modern'. Beret badges typically have sliders, as the more traditional loop and pin are uncomfortable for the wearer if they push into the forehead. The bendable tangs on the back of this example suggest to me that it is intended for wear on something rigid - a peaked cap.

My tuppence worth! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Its an officer's beret badge, late ww2 period. Its half the size of the SD cap version and would have had the same black felt backing as the SD cap badge. Its RAF or CW but not RFC. Economy badges also had jewels coloured.

Oli

www.theocadcollection.com

Edited by Ocad