News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Werner Otto von Hentig (1886-1984) was one of the leaders of the German Afghan Mission 1915-16, prior to then he was wounded as an officer in the 3rd Cuirassiers on the Eastern Front. This photo shows him in Afghanistan still with his white cavalry uniform. I'm wondering what medals he's wearing. Does anyone know he was awarded by 1915?

Indian%2CGerman_and_Turkish_delegates_of

There's a better version of that photo here-

http://www.phototheca-afghanica.ch/index.php?id=35&no_cache=1&tx_browser_pi1[showUid]=205&cHash=44602c60b5

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers
    Chris

• 2 weeks later...

A different version of the photo appears on the cover of Peter Hopkirk's Like Hidden Fire - The Plot to Bring Down the British Empire. The poses are very slightly different, and the gent in the fez has left to get a cuppa, but otherwise it is identical. Capt. Oskar Niedermayer with the slouch hat and the grumpy disposition has moved next to Raja Mahendra Pratap (center). It's a helluva book.

Edited by Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for that. Actually "Like Hidden Fire" was the first book I read on this subject, it's a great read isn't it?

On von Hentig's mysterious medals, he worked in the German diplomatic corps in Peking, Tehran and the Ottoman Empire before the Afghan Mission so its quite possible that some of his medals are Chinese, Persian or Turkish...

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a page on my website about the uniforms worn during Hentig's Mission to Afghanistan-
    http://s400910952.websitehome.co.uk/germancolonialuniforms/afghan%20mission.htm

You'll find some clearer photos of Hentig and the rest of the mission there. Perhaps someone can identify some of Hentig's medals from those photos?

Cheers

Chris