News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 British Officers' Knife

Mervyn Mitton

............................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-6209-0-93793900-1359033503.jpgclick..................................

Most people today think that a multi purpose pocket knife will be a Swiss Army Knife. First made in 1891 they were

probably the first purpose made pocket knife with a variety of blades.

Later made by the firm of Victorinx they still make a variety of styles - but, in my experience , despite a number of

inset tools, they rarely seem to get the use they deserve. Perhaps just too small and fiddly ?

The knife illustrated here , is a British Army Officer's private purchase pocket tool from the first World War.

Large enough to really work and with a well chosen variety of tools that would be useful in the trenches.

There is no maker's name - however, stamped on the fork and spoon is the wording 'stainless'. The outer

covering is from stag's horn and overall it is about 6 inches long.(15cm). This makes a handle that can be properly used

when the tools are extended.

I will show views of the outside and then follow these with the tools.

............................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2013/post-6209-0-62664800-1359035200.jpgclick.............................

From left - Spoon - cutting knife - hoof knife (for trimming horses hooves) - scissors

Very classy, with the stag horn, but I'll bet the owner still got a lot of ribbing whenever he pulled it out! My [much smaller and plainer] Victorinx often gets that reaction until, for example, I get the mini-tweezers out to remove a splinter or open food tins in the absence of anyone else having brought a tin opener. "They laughed when I sat down to play!" :cheeky: