News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Were the originals stamped or cast? I can't recall at the moment. If the latter, then these are clearly reproductions, possibly for re-enactors, rather than originals or 'meant to deceive' fakes.

In the Napoleonic period Br plates were cast and then engraved but I don't know about the later 19th century. :(

Kevin - 72nd. of Foot - The Seaforth Highlanders. Mike is right to caution - these small pieces are easily cast as copies. However, this one

appears to have the correct studs for the cross belt. The blackening which has been partially cleaned on the front is a little strange. I

would have thought ordinary patination would not usually have this 'thick' appearance. Without seeing it , difficult to tell.

The second one I thought was the Inniskilling Dragoons - but not so. You must tell us - when you are asking for advice - what unit is shown on

front. Saves everyone a lot of time. Enlargement doesn't make it readable - give us the wording. Most Irish Regt's have a harp somewhere.

The Crown on the 72nd is Victorian - nice rounded shoulders. The second one is either William 4th - or, early Victorian. The shoulders are much

more angular. It is unlikely to be early Georgian as it bears the Sphinx. This was a Battle Honour for British Forces that fought Napoleon in Egypt in 1802.

Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

These (along with 77th, 18th, and 92nd) were produced for the 1960's Charge of the Light Brigade film and have been extensively reproduced ever since.

All are roughly 1850's pattern and were probably taken off an original initially, as they were die stamping mostly at this date.
    One easy indication is the mushroom studs. At this date they were heads added onto stepped pins and riveted and polished down rather than integral to the item itself.

• 1 month later...