News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Searching for infomation of German officer in the Dutch Colonial Army

Dear members,
    I have found this picture I in the memoirs of a colonial administrator who worked in Aceh in 1920.
    This officer was Lieutenant Max (M. M.) Weber, born in Palembang (Sumatra) May 28, 1893.
    After WWI he volunteered the Dutch Colonial Army in Indie. (KNIL)
    He became health officer 1st class.
    I am very curious about his military career in WWI
    Thanks,
    John

John,

it is not easy to determine the career of a wartime junior medical officer. However, as Dr.Weber is wearing the uniform of a Feldhilfsarzt, he is most probably the Feldunterarzt of Feld-Lazarett 8 of the XI. Armeekorps who was promoted to the rank of Feldhilfsarzt on 17.6.16. The Feldhilfsarzt was a medical student yet to fully qualify as a medical doctor who was employed as a medical officer.

Regards

Glenn

According to Rick's and Daniel's Waldeck awards volume, updating Erhard Roth, Feldunterarzt Richard Weber of 1.Inf.Mun.Kol. of the XI.Armeekorps received the Waldeck Goldene Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern on 29.12.14. Since the FUA Weber promoted to FHA had a Meldeamt of Arolsen, this is probably him.

Glenn, since this Max Weber has the Baden Verdienstmedaille, is there an FUA/FHA with a XIV.AK connection?

Dave,

I came across a further three FUA promoted to FHA on 12 December 1916 (MWB 1916, Spalte 2625 and 2626). Unfortunately none are shown with a given name or unit affiliation. Two of them are shown with a Landwehrbezirk subordination of Höchst and the other of Hanau.

The Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg does not list a medical officer of the name Max Weber.

Regards

Glenn