News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre 1904 Glamorganshire Constabulary helmet plate

I have just recently purchased this helmet plate. Its the standard Glamorganshire Constabulary 'blank centre' plate that was worn between 1894 and 1904 which had QVC and KC examples. In my own collection I do have 'blank centre' plates with both Victorian Crown and Kings Crown and most insignia of this force going back into the Victorian period....but, I have never come across a blank centre plate with a Fleur de Lys badge separately fitted central badge. I am Curator of the South Wales Police Museum ( including historic collection of Glamorgan Constabulary ) but have before never seen an example of this badge. Anyone know anything please?

Hi - Ross. I will reply to your IM soon. Now that you are running the Museum I hope that we can expect a lot of posts

on the more interesting pieces ?

I have never seen this Badge either - the only thing that occurs to me is that is the Prince of Wales feathers - not the

French Fleur-de-lis as such. Perthaps they brought it out to commemorate an official visit from the POW who became

King George 5th. - or, perhaps to celebrate the POW becoming King - ie King Edward 7th. ? Best wishes Mervyn